{11}

Kai

. . .

I fight back a smile as I make my way down the long hallways and into the hospital's cafeteria. I've marked my mate!

I can feel her through the bond we have, her emotions, her pain, the tiny bit of anxiety she's feeling as she pokes at her mark.

Making my way to the assortment of juices in quick strides, I don't move toward Leo and Reese, though I know they see me. I can practically feel Leo's anger and hatred radiating throughout the room, but I don't turn to see him until after I've purchased Rebecca's cookie and tea.

When I look at him, I note with distaste that he's chosen a table in the corner of the room, his back against the wall, giving him the ability to look out over everyone whilst simultaneously being the least vulnerable.

It's the same way he chose Rebecca's hospital room, fighting my desire to have her placed on one of the higher, more heavily guarded floors. He can hear me from where I stand, my heartbeat, my breathing, and he would be able to hear my voice, but I don't offer him the gift of words, instead I look away from him, making direct eye contact with Reese, and nod. 

Not awaiting their reply, I turn and make my way out of the cafeteria. My steps falter slightly as I get a glimpse into Rebecca's emotions. I had pushed them to the back of my mind to give her privacy, but the stronger ones still seem to seep through. 

She's exceedingly relieved right now, but I shake it off, figuring she must have found her remote or perhaps her phone.

Resuming my calm gait, I walk silently through the desolate halls, the footsteps of Rebecca's parents echoing behind me, until I'm face to face with Mason. I stiffen, my posture becoming rigid. I hadn't spoken him until his unwarranted visit caused me to mark Rebecca, and I hadn't planned on it either. Obviously he hadn't felt the same.

Vaguely I'm aware of Reese's stilted breaths as she looks upon Mason. Though I can't blame her, with a wallet chain, leather bracelets studded with spikes, and a streak of red in his shoulder length brown hair, Mason didn't exactly scream choir boy.

Quite frankly if I was a mother who wore pearls and dressed like it was the fifties, I'd be frightened as well.

Mason jerks his head in the direction of the waiting room, silently asking for permission to speak alone. I raise an eyebrow but nod. He gives a nod as a response and goes to sit a couple of rows back from the television.

I wait a few extra seconds for Leo and Reese to catch up, and giving her a wan smile, I hand Reese her daughter's snack and drink.

I sit beside Mason, looking unseeing at the episode of Sanford and Son on the television, and not wanting to wait until Rebecca's parents are out of ear shot, I mind-link Mason ill at ease as far as Leo is concerned. I haven't trusted him since he made the deal to give up his pack for added protection. It wasn't something that I or even my father would have done, and now that I think about it, is increasingly suspicious.

"What?"

"I met my mate. Your father wants her fired." Ever the man of few words, Mason is quick to get to the point, no bullshit.

"Ms. Manson?" 

"Yes."

"Marry her."

"It's not that fucking simple. Libby is only half-werewolf and she was raised by her human mother. She thinks we're all awful."

"Convince her otherwise. I'll deal with my father."