{29}

Kai

. . .

"I'm a what?"

Rebecca's question voices the same thought that runs through my mind. If traditional encounters were to go by, then I should be dead, or at the very least dying. I tell Sierra as much.

I wrap my arm around Rebecca's waist, dragging her closer to where I sit on the cot, not for her comfort, but for mine. It's almost funny. Being close to her could kill me, and yet, there's nothing I want more than to inhale her light blueberry scent as Iwrap her in my arms.

Sierra lets out a cough. "Technically, yes. Fucking could kill you. But, I think whatever part of you that," her eyes flash green, and I watch through her mind as she speaks to one of the freshmen who is over the garden club, "apparently also set off the school garden—nice job, by the way." Sierra winks at us, causing Rebecca to pull closer and flush slightly. "Yeah, my guess is that whatever fairy-thing you've got going on nullifies that power."

Rebecca loosens what I've just noticed is a surprisingly brutal grip on my bicep as we both breathe sighs of relief.

"So, he's not going to die?" 

Sierra smiles, whipping out another pack of Sour Patches, and placing them in Rebecca's palm. "Nope," she says, popping the 'p.' Sierra pulls out yet another pack of candies and begins eating them.

She's relieved too. Sierra's a certified nurse, for both humans and magical creatures, quite frankly, she may be the most knowledgeable person in the world. As Chev's older sister, she could have taken over the beta position if not for her hate for conformity. 

A great warrior nonetheless, this is how she chooses to help.

Rebecca's eyes cloud for a second, deep in thoughts that I can tell make her feel relieved. "So wait," she says, a worried frown causing her chin to pucker. "What did I do to the garden?"

Sierra laughs, pointing one of her candies in Rebecca's direction. "Toots, you've just broken like three world records for fruits that aren't even in season."

Rebecca groans but forces herself to share in on the laughter. I bite down my own chuckles as she turns puce, ducking her chin and tucking her face into my shoulder so that we're hidden from her sight. She's adorable.

"Mm," Sierra makes a sound of disgust, obviously peeking in on my train of thought. "Any questions? 'Cause I got like fifteen pairs of 'afflicted' kids from your building heading over here for a wolfy Plan-B."

I look down at Rebecca, gauging her reaction, gripping her chin gently, forcing her to look at me. She's blushing even harder than before. I figure she's a bit too embarassed to say anything further, so I turn to Sierra with my questions.

"So, what does this mean for us, exactly? Her being a succubus? I have to feed her human hearts or something?" I bite back a laugh as Rebecca shoves at my shoulder.

It's how the werewolves are depicted in her favorite show. Man-killing monsters who don't even shift. I mean seriously, that's just offensive. 

Through our mate bond, I can tell that Rebecca feels worry at this statement, but she says nothing. She's obviously still caught up on the fact that she may have just led to several teenage pregnancies.

Sierra snorts lightly, choking slightly on her candy. "Let me guess, Toots," she begins, forcing a blushing Rebecca to look up ar her. "You felt hungry before you just 'had to' ?"

Rebecca nods hesitantly, focusing her gaze on the anatomy chart above Sierra's head. 

Sierra nods, in full knowledge mode as she removes her gloves, and goes to rifle through one of the cabinets.