23 - coming back

Before we start this chapter, let's do a short recap...

In the last chapter of Smile, Billie, Bella tells us that kisses are overrated, since kissing Mason didn't seem magical at all.

Bella visits her dad with her mom at the hospital, and to their surprise, her dad wakes up from his five-day coma.

Bella and her mom are filled with joy, so Bella tries calling Mason, her boyfriend, to share the good news with him.

He doesn't pick up, so Bella decides to call her best friend, Billie, instead. She picks up, and is very happy for her.

Billie wonders why Mason didn't answer Bella's call, seeing that she's his girlfriend.

The nurse tells the Kendall (Bella's) family that the dad is now perfectly fine, and will return back to normal in time.

Now on to Chapter 23...

23 - coming back

"Really?" Dad asks me with eyebrows raised.

I nod at him, "Mhm."

It's been a day after my dad got out of the hospital. Right now, we're at the dining area eating breakfast as we all talk to each other.

"Mom didn't even bother coming out of the bedroom!" I tell him as mom just shyly smiles.

He chuckles as he lightly shakes his head.

"Yeah, but Billie was with me most of the time," I add.

"Ah, Billie," he grins. "I like that kid."

"I like Billie," Josh tells us, smiling. "Even if she always says bad words."

I laugh.

"How about Mason?" dad asks.

"What about Mason?"

"Was he also with you?" he asks me.

I pause for a moment, then slowly look away.

"No."

Dad furrows his eyebrows, "Why not?"

"He's always busy," I tell him.

"I haven't seen Mason ever since you two last broke up," mom rests her finger on her chin, looking at me thoughtfully.

"I don't like that kid," dad crosses his arms.