Chapter Seven

There was no bell the next morning to wake the crew up. Regardless, one can't sleep long on the main deck of the F.S.M. Visp; there's too much activity on a warship. The hustle and bustle of the ship woke Ace up, and he went to Captain Alphs to ensure that he wouldn't be needed for the remainder of the day.

"No, Mr. Lynx. It's your day off. Retrieve my coffee and enjoy the day."

Ace did as instructed and returned to the Captain's cabin. "Going to a new place is exciting and can be fun, but watch yourself. There's much to see and do, but remember, the Jayorians are a different breed. Just look after yourself," Captain Alphs told him, taking a sip of his coffee. "Today I'm headed out into the countryside upon my new steed, Tally, to enjoy the birds."

Captain Harris gave Ace a small allowance for his service on the F.S.M. Visp; the rest of his pay he'd receive upon their return to Haiglin. At the present, the money would give him some freedom to do as he wished in Jayoria. Ace left the Captain and found a spot on the Quarterdeck to compose his letter to Captain Harris and Charlie.

Captain Harris and Charlie,

I hope this finds you both well. I miss you both terribly. I am safe and well taken care of aboard the F.S.M. Visp. I left Abigal's hotel on that nasty night and got stuck in a hailstorm. I ran to the docks and took cover underneath an overturned rowboat, where I eventually fell asleep. It turned out that the rowboat was on the deck of the F.S.M. Visp, and it was here I awoke the next morning, at sea. We are on a mission, after which I will be home to Haiglin, Captain Alphs assures me. I am deeply sorry for the mistake I have made, and I look forward to seeing you both when the Visp returns to Haiglin.

Miss you both,

Ace

Ace thought of including a statement about seeing them on the streets of Jayoria, but thought better of it. It could have been another couple after all. Ace placed the letter in an envelope, sealed it with the wax seal of the Visp, and stuffed the letter into his coat pocket.

The day was sunnier than the previous day, but the temperature had dropped considerably. Winter was setting in Jayoria. Ace put on a long-sleeved shirt and the blue and gold striped jacket that Captain Alphs had given him the previous day.

Ace left the Visp and walked down the wharf to the main harbor. He had to find a ship that would ensure the letter got to Haiglin safely.

The main harbor was bustling with activity. Jayorians were rushing about, moving and organizing all of the goods shipping into and out of the country. Based on the activity, Ace was certain he would have no problem finding a vessel to deliver his letter back to Menquin. There were a plethora of ships to choose from, but one stuck out to Ace from all of the others. Ace noticed a nice Jayorian Barquentine-style vessel and approached the ship.

"Hale mun," Ace said.

"Hale churu," the short captain of the vessel answered. The captain was Jayorian and wore a faded tri-cornered hat with a faded brown overcoat. "Wôt yanna fi gûdels wô?"

Ace stood baffled for a second, unsure of what the man had said. He was hoping he'd found a trader who spoke Menquin. "Do you speak Menquin?"

The Jayorian trader looked at Ace for a moment. "A little," the man answered. "How can I help you?"

"I was wondering if I could send a message with you to deliver on your next trip to Haiglin," Ace explained.

"Yes, yes. We will deliver it when we are in Haiglin," the Jayorian man said with a thick accent. "Thirty-one Menquanos, or twelve Jay nuts."