Chapter Nineteen

Israna swam up to beach as Ace entered the water. They moved toward each other and embraced lovingly the moment they were within arm's reach. The couple stood at their full height, holding one another. Nothing was said during this moment, but much was communicated. Both were thankful to see each other.

"I've missed you these past few days," Ace said, sitting in the shallow water. Israna moved over to his side and laid her head against his shoulder. She looked up at the sky, which was blanketed with clouds, and there was a rumble of thunder on the horizon. She wore the remains of a sail across her chest.

Israna relayed her emotions to Ace. She'd missed him the past couple days, but knew how important it was for her to go away and get the help of the other mermaids. She'd been able to get four additional mermaids in her search, and they had been key to the island's success during today's battle.

"Yes, I understand how important it is, too. I guess I'm just a bit selfish. I don't like it when you go away. I wish you were always with me."

She chuckled silently next to Ace, then looked up into his eyes. She grabbed the side of his face and pulled him in. She kissed him lovingly for a moment, then pulled away.

Ace was confused for a moment, until he felt a surge of her thoughts and emotions enter his mind. She felt the same way about their relationship; she didn't like leaving him either. He looked down at the lovely mermaid who leaned against his shoulder and voiced his mind.

"I love you, Israna."

The mermaid perked up and drew away from Ace's shoulder. She stared at Ace, communicating nothing. Then she opened her heart to Ace, and for the first time he began to feel the passion and love she had for him. It was deeper than anything he could have imagined. He felt a tear slide down his cheek, and the mermaid withdrew her feelings from Ace, concerned about him.

"No, no, I'm fine. I'm just beginning to understand. You do so much for me, not because you have to, but because you love me, too."

Ace smiled, reached out, and gently touched his lips to her forehead. She smelled of coconut and the sea, a fragrance that was irresistible to Ace. He reached down and directed her chin up to look at him. He stared into her deep blue eyes for a long moment before moving in to kiss her lips. Her kiss tasted as sweet as her smell, and Ace kissed her from the bottom of his heart. She returned his kisses with an equal fury of passion.

The kiss stopped only when the rain began. It didn't start slow and pick up momentum, as the kissing had. The rain came fast and hard, and maintained its stamina for some time.

Ace looked out to the horizon, watching the storm move in. A flicker of movement ran through the shallows near him, and a figure appeared, drawing itself to full height. The dark-haired, red-tailed mermaid locked eyes with him and slowly approached.

Fear crept into Ace's mind as the beautiful creature stoically approached him. He cautiously crawled backwards, until Israna placed her hand on his leg, steadying him.

"Who is she?"

Israna looked at him and smiled. She shot him a thought through their link. This was her sister, one of the other mermaids in the territory.

The red-tailed mermaid cautiously extended her right hand toward Ace, which Ace cautiously accepted. She pumped his hand softly once and quickly jerked her hand away.

Ace felt a foreign conscious touch his mind. He could feel the red-tailed mermaid's pain emanate through the mental link between them. She expressed to Ace her apologies for nearly attacking him earlier.