Chapter 3

You spend time with Sam off and on all weekend. The two of you try to do anything to distract yourselves from thinking about the results of tryouts. You saw Dean on Saturday afternoon and tried to get information out of him, but he wouldn't give you anything. Then as he walked passed he tousled your hair and told you, you would have to wait until Monday, like you were a little kid.

Monday morning comes and the usual butterflies are in your stomach. You and Sam agreed to look at the board together and you are waiting outside for him. You see Dean pull into the lot and can't help but smile. You watch as he parks and the two of them get out. Dean heads in the opposite direction, probably towards Heather. But Sam heads your way with his usual smile.
"Morning y/n."
"Hey Sam."
"Are you ready for this?"
"I... I think so."

When the two of you reach the coach's office, there are a few guys already looking at the board. Two of them walk away with smiles, but the third doesn't look happy. You can't help but feel sorry for him. You take a deep breath and step up to the board. You scan the freshman team list but don't find your name.
"Oh... I didn't make it, Sam."
"What? Yes you did."
"I'm not on the list," you say pointing to the list.
"Y/n, that's because you made varsity."
"What?" you say pushing him out of the way. You scan the list and find your name. You can't believe it. "Sam... did.." Then you find his name. "Sam! You made varsity too!"
"Yeah... I saw."
Then you throw your arms around him and hug him. You never thought you would really make varsity. JV maybe. It happens so rarely for freshmen to make the varsity team here. You aren't really surprised that Sam made varsity, he's a great wide receiver. "Sam, I knew you would make varsity," you say pulling back out of his arms.
"Well, I didn't. I probably won't play much. Not behind Smith and Wesson."
"You never know. I've seen you play... I wouldn't be surprised."
"Well, thanks y/n. But you're the one who is going to play all the time."
Hopefully it's just extra points after all your touchdowns," you say with a smile.
"Oh right..."

Relieved that you made the team, you are able to concentrate in your classes more. You see Sam at lunch and he points out a few more guys that made the team. You know some of the varsity players, but just those that played a lot. All of your friends that tried out made the freshmen team and are in good spirits.
As you leave the lunchroom, you aren't watching where you're going and you run into Heather and Dean. You almost make Heather spill her drink.
"Watch where you're going freshman."
"I am so sorry Heather."
"You should be. Do you know--"
"Hey. Congrats on making varsity, y/l/n," Deans says before Heather can finish.
"Oh, thanks Dean," you say quietly.
"Wait... you're the girl who tried out for the football team?"
"Umm... yeah..."
"And why," she says turning on Dean, "didn't you tell me?"
"You didn't ask."
"You should have just told me."
"You should have asked."
You slip away quietly before they start arguing and head for your next class.

You've noticed that as it gets around school that you're the girl that not only tried out for the football team, but also made varsity as a freshman, people have been staring and talking quietly. A few people have come up and asked you about it, but not many.
Finally, your last class is over and you head to the locker room to change. Part of you feels bad that you aren't with the rest of the team, but there is no way you are changing in the same locker room as them. You head out into the hallway when you hear someone behind you.
"Y/l/n, where you headed?"
"Oh hey Patch. Umm... to practice. Aren't you going?"
Then two more guys come out of another locker room to stand behind Patch. Lewis and Gray, you think. "Practice? Yeah, we are. But we were thinking maybe you weren't feeling like practice today."
"What? It's the first official practice. Of cou--" But you stop as the three of them step closer to you and you are pushed closer to the wall.
"Lewis, I don't think she understood me," Patch says looking over his shoulder.
"Doesn't seem like she did."
"Let me say it again," Patch says taking another step closer to you. "You aren't going to practice, y/l/n. There is no way we are playing on this team with some girl."
"Hey I tried out just like you."
"And I don't give a shit." He is standing directly in front of you now. And Lewis and Gray have closed ranks too. "This is not a team for girls. Football is a man's sport." He jams a finger into your chest. "Go back to whatever th--"
"Hey! What the hell is going on here?"

You look over Patch's shoulder to see Dean and Sam. Patch, Lewis, and Gray spin around quickly.
"Nothing Winchester. Go to practice. We're just talking to our new teammate. Special teams stuff."
"Really? Because it sounds like you're telling her she can't play," Dean says.
"She shouldn't be. I hear you're the one that put the idea into her head."
"No. That was me," Sam says quickly.
"Shut up freshman," Gray says.
"Really Gray? You're a sophomore. I don't want to hear it," Dean snaps.
"But--"
"No. As your captain, I'm telling the three of you to get outside."
"And if we don't?" Patch responds.
Dean steps up into Patch's face. He has three inches on him and at least 30 pounds on him. "Patch, you're lucky you're still on the team. You've seen what y/l/n can do."
"Don't threaten me." Patch is standing his ground, but you notice a slight tremble in his hands.
"I'm not. At least not yet. Now get to practice or fucking go home."
The three of them hesitate for a second, but soon head down the hallway towards practice.

Sam rushes to your side. "Y/n, are you all right?"
"Yeah... They didn't do anything. Just being idiots. I think someone's pride is hurt," you say looking after the retreating figures.
"I'm sure that's true."
You turn back to look at Dean, but he's gone. There's no sign of him anywhere. "Where did Dean go?"
Sam looks around. "Huh. I don't know. We were headed to coach's office, maybe that's where."
"Either way, we better get to practice."