Chapter 4

The rest of the week continues on without much incident. Patch, Lewis, and Gray keep their distance from you. They only talk to you when necessary during practice. It doesn't seem like Dean said anything to coach or something would have happened to them. You're fine with that. The less attention put on you, the better. You have slowly become some sort of celebrity at school and you aren't really enjoying all the attention. Dean seems to revel in it, so you try to put the spotlight on him when you can and slip back quietly into the shadows.
You asked your mom to take you in early Friday morning because you wanted to work on a few things. It was just easier when you weren't in a group. However, when you get to the field you see there is already equipment out. You don't see anyone right away and look around confused.
"Y/l/n, you're here early."
Dean. You turn around to find him with a big smile on his face. "Oh... hey Dean. I just thought I would work on a couple things, but I don't have to..."
"It's a pretty big field. I think we can both use it."
"Well, if you don't mind."
"Besides... I don't think you need much practice."
"Practice makes perfect, right?"

You go the opposite end of the field and set up your stand. You just want to work on a couple different distances. You are trying to think game time situations. As you set up your last ball, a ball suddenly hits the ground just to your right. Then one hits just to your left. You turn around with your hands on your hips. "What are--"
But there is ball coming right at you. You catch it without much difficulty. It's as if Dean put them exactly where he wanted. Which, knowing how good he is, that's probably exactly what he did. Even at the 40 yards he is standing from you.
He jogs over to you. "Nice catch."
"Well you put it right in my hands, hard not to."
"You'd be surprised," he says with a laugh.
"What are you doing? I thought you were workings on things on your side of the field."
"I couldn't resist. I wanted to see how close I could get them without hitting you."
"Well, thank you for not drilling me in the back of the head."
"No problem. I could have if I wanted to."
"I don't doubt that," you say handing the football back to him. His fingers brush yours and a shock goes through your body. As you look up, you notice it doesn't seem to affect him in any way.
"Well, I'll go back to my side of the field now."
"Wait..."
"Yes?"
"I never got to thank you for the other day... With Patch and his goons."
"Don't mention it. They were being a bunch of idiots."
"I know that, but thank you."
He looks into your eyes for a few seconds and the stare is so intense, you aren't sure what to do. "Like I said, don't mention it. Well, I should probably get my stuff put away, gotta meet Heather."
"Right... Can't make her wait."
He doesn't say anything, just turns to go with a smirk on his face.

After you put your stuff away and take a quick shower, you find Sam standing at your locker.
"Morning y/n."
"Hey Sam."
"What are you doing tonight?"
"Umm... I haven't really thought about it, why?"
"Well, some of the other players are going to a party tonight. Would you want to go?"
"Oh... I don't know. Is it just freshman? Like people I know?"
"No. Well, yes, but there will be upperclassmen too."
You hesitate, chewing the inside of your cheek. "I don't know Sam. I'm not much of a party girl. Are you going?"
"I don't know. I don't think I'm gonna go unless you go. Although Dean is going. We could do something else?"
"Do you want to go Sam?"
"Kind of."
"Then I'll go. I don't want you to miss it," you say with a smile. You try not to let it show that Dean may have influenced your decision.
"Really? I'll talk to Dean and see if we can ride with him and Heather."
Oh great, Heather. "Okay, just let me know."
"Will do. See you in chemistry."
"See ya Sam."

You text your mom at lunch to see if it's okay to go to the party. She agrees after knowing you will be going to with Sam and Dean. You tell Sam the news and you get one of his dimpled smiles. He asked Dean about riding with him and Heather and Dean said it was fine. They would pick you up at 7:30.
At 6:45, you're standing in front of your closest still trying to figure out what to wear. You've never been to a high school party and you have no idea what to wear. At 7:12, all you've decided on is your favorite pair of jeans. You work on your hair and makeup for a few minutes before going back to the closet. You rarely do makeup or anything with your hair and you look so different. You finally decide on your go-to black top.
There is a knock on your door just as you're putting on a little perfume.
"Y/n?"
"Come in, mom."
She opens the door slightly and sticks her head in. "Oh, y/n, you look so pretty."
"Thanks mom."
"I'm so used to seeing your hair in a messy bun and wearing football gear. I can't believe how much you've grown up..."
"Mom... I'm just 15, stop."
"I can't help it. You're my baby girl."
"I know, mom, I know."
"I just wanted to ask you about tonight again."
"Mom I'm going with Sam and Dean, oh and Heather, I'll be fine."
"I know. I know. I just want you to know if at any time you want to come home, you can call me. You know that, right?"
You can't help but smile at her. "I know, mom." You walk over and give her a hug. "Thanks. I'll see you later."
"Bye sweetie."