Chapter 5

"Thanks Sam," you say pulling out of his arms.
"Don't mention it. I wasn't going to let him hit you. I'm just sorry I wasn't there to stop him sooner."
"So you didn't see me kick him?"
"No, I heard him yell 'you bitch' from around the corner. And came running."
"Well, thanks. I really do appreciate it."
"Ehh... I was just glad I could do it. Patch is a dick."
You don't know what to say. So, with a small smile, you slip into the back seat.
Sam walks around and slides into the other side. "Well, hopefully we don't have to deal with him again."
"Yeah..." you say sliding down in the seat.
The two of you sit in silence waiting for Dean. It isn't uncomfortable at all. It's enough to just sit with Sam. After a few minutes you see Dean walking towards the car, but no Heather.
Sam sits up. "Uh oh. No Heather. That probably isn't good."
Dean slides in behind the wheel but doesn't say anything. You look at Sam because you aren't sure what to say.
"Where's Heather?" Sam asks.
"She wasn't ready to go. And was really drunk. So I left her with Nicole," he says starting the car.
"Oh. Okay."

You can sense Dean is upset, but don't say anything. He isn't one to share his feelings. In fact, no one speaks on the drive back to your house. Deans pulls up to the curb and you start to get out, but you turn back to the guys.
"Thanks again, guys. You saved me twice in one week. It's like you guys were made for this."
"I really hope this is the last time, y/n," Dean says.
"Me too."
"Let us know if he bothers you again."
"Will do. Thanks for taking me to the party, Dean."
"Sorry it was crappy for you."
"There's always next time," you say getting out of the car. Sam gets out with you and walks over to get in the passenger seat.
"Y/n, I'm sorry about tonight. You wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for me."
It's all right Sam." You know that your decision maker was really Dean, so you hate to see Sam blame himself.
"Can I make it up to you tomorrow? What about a movie?"
"Sure. Text me tomorrow and we'll figure it out."
"Okay. Goodnight y/n."
"Night Sam."

Instead of going to a movie, Sam came over to watch some of your favorites. You even made him watch a girly romance. It wasn't even one of your favorites, but he sat through it all anyway. On Sunday, he came over to help you with chemistry homework. By that evening, Friday night was pretty much forgotten.

Monday morning you walk to your locker still half asleep. Someone is standing by your locker and you assume it's Sam. But as you get closer, you realize it's Patch. You freeze for a second, but then you tell yourself you aren't going to let him get to you. As he turns to face you completely, you see his nose is bandaged. Did Sam break it?
"Patch, wh--"
"Y/n, just let me explain. I want to apologize for Friday night. And last Monday. I was being a total asshole."
"No argument there," you say crossing your arms over your chest.
"I know my behavior was inexcusable, but I hope that you can forgive me. And if you think you could, I was hoping you could help me with my kick."
You aren't really sure what to say. You want to trust him, but he really was a dick. Yet if you help him, maybe the team would accept you more. Especially since the first game is on Friday. "Okay."
"Really?" he says as his eyes light up.
"But I have some conditions..."
"Oh..."
"I just want to say I don't completely forgive you. But I'm willing to work on that. And you should understand why I really don't want to workout with you alone. And I would prefer to do the workouts in the morning."
"Yeah, yeah. I can get Lewis or Gr--"
"No. I want Sam or Dean or one of my friends."
"Okay."
"If we can't find someone, we don't do it."
"Agreed."
"Listen, Patch, since we're both kickers, I would love for us to get along. I think we could both teach each other."
"I hope so, y/n."

There is suddenly a hand on your shoulder and you turn around to see Sam. You can see his jaw is tense. "What's going on?"
"Sam... Before you get upset, Patch was just apologizing."
"He should be."
You look over to see a slight alarm in Patch's eyes.
"Sam, it's ok. Please relax," you say touching his arm.
He finally looks at you and his face softens. "You're okay?"
"Yes. In fact, Patch asked me to help with his kick."
You see a smile tug at Sam's mouth. "And what did you say?"
"That I would help. Bu--"
"You what?"
"Just listen Sam. I told him I would only help if someone else were there. I was hoping it would be you," you say with a smile.
He looks between you and Patch. "Yeah. I could do that."
"Thanks Sam." You turn to Patch. "We can start tomorrow?"
"That sounds good. Thanks so much y/n. And you too Sam."
"See ya at practice."
"See ya later," he says backing up. You are pretty sure he can't get away from Sam fast enough.