Chapter 6

The next few weeks go by smoothly. You continue your workouts with Patch and you've slowly gotten to know him a little. He's got a great sense of humor you didn't expect. You've even sat with him and some of the other special teams players at lunch a couple times. You get the feeling that Sam doesn't like you to though. You don't think Sam is going to forgive Patch any time soon.

And the team is still undefeated. One game went into overtime, but Smith broke loose from his man and Dean hit him wide open on the 30-yard line and he was gone. But this Friday, is the first conference game. You're quite nervous about it, but you still get nervous for every game.

Sam and Dean are picking you up again. It has kind of become your routine. And even though none of you would admit it, you are all a little superstitious.
"Are you ready for tonight?" Dean asks as you slide into the backseat.
"Me? It's you two with the tough part."
"Oh is that so?" Sam says with a small laugh.
"I saw the report on their defense. You might have found your match."
"Well, thanks for the positive attitude, y/n," Dean says.
You can't help but laugh. "Don't worry. Our defense and special teams will make up the difference."
"Good thing you have our back then," Dean replies.
"Just get me close enough and I'll score all our points."
You love joking with the guys, but your stomach is in its usual knots. You have gotten used to having the few minutes to yourself before the game and try to relax then. You are ready and go wait outside the guys' locker room. This time Patch gives you the okay. Coach gives his best speech yet and the whole team is bouncing around as you all take the field.

Your team wins the coin toss but chooses to defer. The punter pins them inside the 10-yard line. The defense takes the field and does a pretty good job. They allow a first down, but they don't let them score any points.

The offense takes the field and starts on the 27-yard line. The first play is a short pass to Wesson and he gains 6 yards. On the second play, Dean gets sacked. And it looks like a hard hit. You hold your breath until you see him get up. He seems to be okay, but you always hate to see anyone take a hard hit. Facing a third and long, Smith and Wesson both take off. They crisscross their paths and Smith manages to lose his man. Dean puts the ball just where he needs to and Smith gains 40 yards before he's pushed out of bounds.

A few more plays and they are inside the 5-yard line. Dean throws to Wesson, but he drops the pass when he's hit. You can hear coach start screaming and then you see Sam run out on the field. The next play is to O'Brien but he gets stood up at the goal line. It's third and goal and you know you'll either be going in for an extra point or field goal next, so you make your way down the sideline. The center snaps the ball and you watch Dean keep his calm as he waits for someone to get open. When no one does, he takes the ball in himself. The defense is concentrating on Wesson, Sam, and O'Brien so much Dean can almost walk into the end zone.

You make sure to pass him on your way on to the field and give him a big smile.
"Sorry, y/l/n, you only get to put one point on the board."
"Hey, 7 points is better than 3."
You don't get as nervous for extra points, so you make it fairly easy.
The offense finally gets back on track and goes into halftime leading 24-6. Dean jokes that he let you have one field goal.

But the second half doesn't go as well. The other team comes back and takes the lead, 34-31. There's two minutes left for Dean to take the team down the field. They get a couple first downs and it looks like they'll get a touchdown easily. They get to the 15-yard line and it looks like it's going to be a pass play. But Wesson drops the pass. They line up again and you watch as a defensive lineman gets loose and Dean is sacked again. They manage to lose 20 yards. You look at the clock and there is only 38 seconds left.

They set up one more play and then it'll be up to you if they don't get the first down. You find yourself holding your breath again. It's almost like it's all in slow motion. Wesson makes a little space between himself and his man and Dean passes to him, but Wesson drops another pass.
Now it's up to you. Coach calls a timeout so you and the rest of the specials team can get set up. Coach pulls you and Patch over.
""Look, y/l/n, you can do this. I've seen you kick this in practice all the time," Coach says. "You do this and we'll just go to overtime."
"Right, Coach."
You start to head out on the field when you hear your name. You turn around to see a smiling Sam.
"Y/n, just relax. I've seen you kick this a hundred times."
"I know. Thanks Sam."
He answers you with a smile and you turn to jog out on the field. As you get to Patch, he gives you an encouraging smile but doesn't say anything. You get set and the ball is snapped to Patch. He gets it down and you get the kick off. It goes straight, but you watch as it hooks to the right and misses. You can't believe it. You just lost the game. You watch as the other team starts celebrating, but you are frozen to the spot. Then there are hands on your shoulders, trying to move you from the field. You're vaguely aware that it's Patch.

You're sitting in the locker room halfway dressed, but can't get yourself to finish getting dressed. You aren't ready to see anyone. You can't believe you let everyone down. There is loud knock on the door.
"Wait! Don't come in!" You finish dressing, but aren't sure you want anyone to see you. "Who is it?"
"It's Dean. Can I come in?"
Crap. "Yeah... It's okay."
You sit back down on a bench as he walks in. "Hey."
"Y/n, are you okay?"
"Yeah. Fine. Why wouldn't I be?"
He looks at you for a moment and then sits down. "Please, don't take this too hard. It happens."
"But--"
"Really. It's a team loss. Not yours."
You stand up quickly and it seems to surprise him. "No. It's mine. I missed that kick. Me."
"But maybe if I hadn't gotten myself sacked, it would have been closer or we could have gotten a touchdown."
"Dean... It's..." But you stop as tears threaten to fall.
"Hey," he says standing up and putting his hands on your shoulders. "We lose some. It happens. We'll bounce back."
"I know. But I feel like I let you down... let the team down."
"You could never do that."
"What? Why?"
"Look how much you've already proven. You're a girl on the football team. You're a freshman starting varsity."
"Thanks Dean," you say quietly.
"Don't mention it. You ready to go?"
"I have to sometime, huh?"
He picks up your bag and with a smirk slings an arm around your shoulders. "You can't keep your fans waiting forever."