Chapter One | Prissy Presley

"Hallelujah," I whispered as I turned the corner, relief rushing through my chest

"Hallelujah," I whispered as I turned the corner, relief rushing through my chest. My eyes had just landed on my lucky table, which was unoccupied for the first time all week.

I slid my bag from my shoulder and it on the table with a soft thud. Since the whole floor appeared to be vacant, I let my things scatter across the smooth, flat surface. After pulling my ear buds from my bag, I selected my concentration playlist on my phone and pulled my notebook from my back pocket.

Inspiration had been swirling all around me the entire day. From the sweet song of the blue jay that morning to the scent of the freshly brewed coffee in my hand, every one of my senses was buzzing with excitement. I was so anxious to put my pen to paper that I rushed right over to the library after my last class.

Some time later, while lost in my description of Lady Emily's shimmery ballgown, I felt a hand curl around my shoulder. I gasped, yanking out my ear buds and jumping to my feet.

"Kol! You scared me," I whisper-shouted when I met his soft, whiskey colored eyes.

"Sorry, darling. Didn't mean you any harm." His charming smile was crooked, just like his stance, as he brought a silver flask to his lips with a wink. He took a long sip before tucking it in the front pocket of his worn Kappa hoodie.

"Are you drunk?" I swallowed hard, looking around the room for any possible witnesses. "At the library?"

He shrugged his broad shoulders and bit down on his full lower lip. "And if I am? It's not like anyone cares."

"I care. I very much care." I insisted. I bit down on my lower lip, realizing I almost let something slip. "You could get in big trouble."

"Get in trouble? You're such a priss, Presley," he snickered softly.

I ignored his insult, taking a moment to study his appearance. With his dark hair messy, bags lining his eyes and extra growth along his chiseled jaw, Kol looked downright ragged.
He'd been spiraling since he discovered my best friend Lila, who was pregnant with his baby, had been seeing his brother behind his back.

I met his dark gaze, my heart aching when I saw the pain still lingering in his stare.

Kol looked down at the table and furrowed his brow, spinning my forgotten notebook on the table to face him. "What's this?"

"Nothing." I snatched the book back from him, sticking it in my bag before he could read any of my latest story. "What are you doing getting drunk here anyway, Kol? You live in a frat house, for God's sake. Being drunk is practically a requirement."

"Apparently, I've been a distraction to the brothers lately." With a shake of his head, he slid into the chair beside me. His cologne was mixing with the scent of the whiskey he had hidden in his flask, providing a heady combination I was unaccustomed to smelling in my beloved library.