Chapter Four | Desperately Wanting

When I woke the next morning, Kol was already gone

When I woke the next morning, Kol was already gone. However, there was a fresh pot of coffee waiting for me in the kitchen.

As I filled my mug with the caffeinated deliciousness, my bleary eyes landed on a pastry box full of assorted macarons beside the coffeemaker. A wide grin spread across my face when I picked up the hastily scribbled note resting on top.

Going to classes like a good boy, then over to Kappa to grab my things. Already walked the dust ball. Thanks for everything, little Bookworm.
-Kol

"Man, he's adorable," I sighed to Audrey, shaking my head. "I'm in so much trouble."

I sipped my coffee while imagining Kol taking Audrey for a walk before class. Something about that big, strong man carrying my tiny fluffy pup had me smiling into my ceramic mug.

I finished my coffee quickly, before getting dressed and ready for the day. I had a full day of classes ahead of me, but I wanted to swing by Lila's first to give her a heads up about my new roommate.

She would not be happy I'd taken in her baby's father, but I didn't really care. He needed help and it seemed like I was the only one willing to step up.

As I walked outside, a light April rain was falling, the cool mist swirling through the already chilled air. It did nothing to improve my mood, and by the time I reached Peach Street, I was cold and annoyed.

I raised my hand to knock on Lila's door, but it swung open before my knuckles could connect with the wood. My eyebrows jumped when Marla Grey's face appeared.

"Mrs. Grey! What a wonderful surprise," I cried, plastering a smile on my face.

"Come on in, Presley, dear. Lila and I were just discussing her nanny search, despite the fact that I moved to Mystic Falls specifically to help with the baby." Marla's voice was laced with disapproval.

Lila's red faced scowl reflected her frustration. She was getting close to her due date, and her mother's constant hounding only added to her discomfort.

"Right. The nanny search," I sighed, catching on to Lila's irritation. I tried to segue into a new subject. "Hey, have you spoken to Kol?"

My best friend's blue eyes narrowed on me, alerting me to the fact that this topic was no better than the one she'd tried to avoid.

I shrugged in apology when I saw Marla's expression change to excitement.

"Well, have you?" Marla asked, folding her arms across her chest.

"No, not for a couple of days. Why?" A frown pulled at Lila's glossy lips.

"He was kicked out of the Kappa House," I began, hoping for some sign of sympathy from the woman carrying his child. "I found him half passed out in the grass on the quad."

"Oh, that poor boy!" Marla breathed, shaking her head. "Tell me he didn't spend the night outside."

I met Lila's eyes across the room, somewhat relieved by the worry lines creasing her forehead.