Introduction

(Warning: To avoid spoilers, you will want to read Heartbreak Warfare first

(Warning: To avoid spoilers, you will want to read Heartbreak Warfare first.)

***

Kol stood in the street that January afternoon with the cold air swirling around him, watching the mother of his child ascend her cement staircase.

She was bouncing with excitement, her long, dark hair blowing in the wind. When she unlocked the door, she rushed inside to share the happy news...

with his fucking brother.

It had been more than two months since he realized Lila Grey had fallen in love with his older brother Elijah, and he still wasn't over it.

Their prenatal doctor's appointments were torture, his stomach churning with an unrequited affection that he just couldn't shake.

Each smile Lila tossed his way broke him a little further, and the scent of her vanilla shampoo lingered in his mind long after they parted. He was utterly, completely, hopelessly in love with her, and she couldn't have been more unobtainable.

She had to know of his feelings, as he hadn't spoken to his brother in months.

She just didn't care.

Through the open front door, Kol could hear Lila's excited squeals as she told Elijah their unborn baby was a girl.

Kol would never forget the look on Lila's face when Dr. Fell told them during the ultrasound. Her aqua eyes glimmered with elation as they met his, but when she squeezed his hand he knew she wished it were Elijah's hand instead.

Perhaps he should just be a gentleman and walk away from Lila altogether. They could make some kind of custody agreement and only see each other after their daughter is born.

But Kol had never truly been that selfless, and he wasn't about to start now.

He caught a glimpse of his brother through the doorway, and slunk away into the shadows. He wasn't yet ready for that conversation.

As he watched Lila's front door close, blocking the happy couple from his view, he wondered if he would ever be as fortunate as his brother Elijah.

Would there ever be another woman who made his heart pound with a single glance? One whose soft hair his fingers were desperate to run through?

He couldn't imagine it.

From the first night they met, Lila had him wrapped around her finger. Picking him from the crowd to take home felt like winning the lottery, and the baby she told him they'd conceived was the bonus prize.

So why did it feel like Elijah was the lucky one?

As he turned to make his way home, there was a rumble of thunder that echoed in his chest. The skies opened up and a sudden icy rain began to fall.

"Fucking perfect," he scoffed, his lips curling into a scowl.

He walked down the street covered in rain.

***