21 - Chance

2 1 - C H A N C E

The next morning, as I come down the stairs to get breakfast, I overhear my parents talking. I take a seat on the stairs, just out of view. I know eavesdropping is rude and screams bad manners, but I can't bring myself to care. I desperately want to know what they're talking about, and after all the suffering they've put me through, I feel justified.

"I'm so tired of this," my mom is saying. I hear a light thump, what I assume is her setting a mug of tea down on the table. She makes a point of drinking tea every morning, even though I know she doesn't like it that much—she says it just tastes like water she'd find in a muddy, leafy puddle in autumn. So why she drinks it, I'm not exactly sure. To seem sophisticated, maybe. Though to me, it just makes her seem more stuck up.

"I know," my dad agrees. "I've been looking for a different job. You know that. But I'm having trouble. I think I'm close on one, though. I made it through the application process and I'm just waiting for a final decision, but I have no idea how long it will take them to get back to me. I'm hoping sometime this morning, but I'm not sure."

"I've started looking, too," my mom adds. "For a job I can do from home to help with money. Because I don't think we can keep doing this to Chance. But you know I can't take a full-time job with his homeschooling."

"But this is what we say every time. And nothing ever changes."

I frown. I hadn't realized they'd been looking for other work, but I guess it was foolish of me to assume they would just accept the constant moving without complaints. I think part of me wanted to assume that just so I could have a good excuse to be mad at them. I needed something to be mad at, and I would've felt bad being mad at them if I knew they were trying.

When they don't resume conversation, I tiptoe back up the stairs and walk down with heavy footsteps so they won't think I've been eavesdropping. "Good morning," I greet, faking a yawn for good measure.

"Good morning," they chorus, looking a little bit guilty. I'm not sure why, since they were talking about something that would make me really happy if they were to say it out loud. Maybe they don't want to get my hopes up, or something. Which is understandable. I'd definitely be disappointed if they went out of their way to tell me that we had a chance at not moving and then plans fell through.

"Do I have lessons today?"

My mom shakes her head. "Of course not. It's a Saturday, remember?"

"Oh. Right." I fix myself a bowl of cereal, taking a seat at the table across from my parents. "Are we doing anything today?"

"No plans. Just hang around here or go see Noah."

"When did he leave last night?" I ask curiously. "He left me a snack on my nightstand because he was concerned that I hadn't had dinner, but I didn't hear him put it there, so it must have been late."

"A little while after you fell asleep. I didn't realize he did that, either." She reaches out and places a hang on my shoulder. "He sounds really amazing, Chance. I'm happy for you."

I smile briefly, trying not to think about how I won't be able to see him for much longer if we end up moving. I'm not fixating on it quite as much as I was yesterday, but my thoughts still keep circling back to what will happen if I leave. "Thanks, Mom."

As I head up the stairs, my phone buzzes in my pocket, so I pull it out. A text from Noah is displayed on the lock screen: Can I come over?

Yeah, sure, I reply immediately.

Good, because I'm at your front door. The doorbell rings.