maiden dance (3)*(chapter 14)

The week past quickly and finally the day of the maiden dance came . Everyone was gathered at the field there was food , music and dancing .

men were sitting around drinking traditional beer , the women were busy with the pots others watched over the hyper active children.

I loved children and even thought of having my own one day. That was only a dream though because I could not find a good woman to marry , all of them were after something when they got with me.

I sighed as I thought of my mesireble life , I was rich , should I not be happy? .As I sat there deep in thought I felt a slight tap on my shoulder , I looked up to find Thandi.

I gave her a small smile, "hey Thandi", "hello dear, now tell me ,why do you look so sad on such a joyous occasion?".

"I just reflected on my life and it's horrible", Thandi , smiled , "life can be like that sometimes , just make the best of it when you can".

I nodded and smiled wider and then looked for Sthe , he was nowhere to be found i frowned not seeing him. "Where is Sthe?" I asked Thandi, "Sthe?", Thandi asked confused, "the prince" ,I clarified.

Her eyes widened , "you can call him with such familiarity?", She looked honestly shocked. "He asked me to call him like that , anyway I'll go and join the men" , she nodded and walked away.

I was about to go join the men ,when a voice called out to me . I turned and Lebo, was standing there , it was odd to see her and not Mariam.

"Mariam, said she needed your help in the kitchen Ajax" , "then I'll go with you now" . I followed Lebo, to the shed . Mariam, smiled seeing me , "food would not taste the same if it was not handled by you dear" Mariam ,said making me smile.

I folded the sleeves of my shirt and got to work . She borrowed me a cloth to tie on my hair and I thanked her. We Cooked for a few hours and the ceremony was already commencing.

I finally went to look and was just in time for the snake dance as they call it , the women lined up behind one another and held each other's hips .

I noticed they were not wearing anything to cover their top halves and their necks ,hand and feet had coloured beads .

I looked at Mariam , "why are they half naked?", "It's tradition to show their virgins". I nodded , "man don't need to do anything to show their virgins right?", "No dear they don't".

"Tell me though is there still a man whose a virgin in this day and age ?", "uh..", I had no reply to that . Would she laugh if I told her I was one? I hoped not but I was still not prepared to take the risk.

"come let's go and join the royal family" , I nodded and followed her. Young men were grinning widely I'm guessing already knowing which bride to pick .

I just smiled and clapped , farcinated by the way they danced .

The dance was finally over and the young men stood and began to do some poems in Zulu , I had no idea what they were saying but seeing as the young women were blushing , I just knew it was something romantic.

Damn if only someone would make a poem just for me too. Oh God ,what was I thinking, I'm not a young maiden .

The young men put beads on the young women they had chosen . Thandi, was also chosen by a handsome young man , our gazes met and I gave her a thumbs up, she grinned and nodded looking at me.

Nina , the girl who I'm pretty sure hates me was chosen , her man was slightly average but he had a good body that showed he can provide well enough for her.

Suddenly everything stopped and I looked up to see what had caught everyone's attention. I gasped as I saw Sthe, taking powerful strides towards me , the look in his eyes made my heart race.

He had such a strong ,yet gentle determination. He came over to me and stood before me , I saw he had beads in his hands .

It seemed as if time had stopped, he began to say a poem in Zulu that I had no idea what it said but by his tone of voice I know it was crazy romantic. It bufled me that he was reciting it to me .