+~eleven~+

As I gazed into Aiden's light brown eyes, I could only think of one thing: it would be the last time I saw them. It would be the last time I saw him at all if things went according to my dad's plan. I would get married and live somewhere far from my own home with my new husband... my 'new husband' who turned out to be an old friend, but that wasn't what I was worried about at that moment.

"Jia..." This was the first thing said since I'd gone to his room to say goodbye. When I got there, he was standing by the door, waiting for Ms. Miller to escort him to his vehicle. All I did when I went inside was place my hand on his shoulder. And there we stood, silently comforting each other with merely our presence.

Something about the way he'd said my name... his voice filled with sorrow and longing... it felt like a bullet to my heart. I threw my arms around him, letting out the tears I'd been holding back. He held me comfortingly as I cried into his shoulder. All I could think about was how much I'd miss the safe feeling I found in his embrace.

I looked up to see his face and found him crying as well. I cupped his cheek with my hand, trying to comfort him. "Hey... let's stop crying, okay? Let's just enjoy this last moment..." He nodded, lifting his glasses to wipe the tears off his cheeks with his sleeve.

"It's alright," I said sweetly, caressing his cheek. "We'll be okay. Maybe not together, but we will." I let silence take over for a few seconds as I thought of what I wanted to say and choosing the words carefully, considering that I didn't have much time.

"Aiden... I want you to promise me that you won't be all alone, okay? I know it's not your fault but... just try to put yourself out there and meet some new people. I promise you'll find someone to make you happy. And please, please never even think of taking your life again... If you ever feel this way, talk to someone. Don't make yourself suffer alone. I just want to know you'll be okay so I can live in peace..."

Aiden nodded, biting his lip as he fought the tears that were beginning to form in his eyes again. I knew I wouldn't know for sure that he would always be happy, but I had to take his word for it.

We stood there in silence again, drifting into our thoughts for minutes before either of us spoke again. I realized that although I hadn't known Aiden for that long, it seemed as though I'd known him for years. It was so hard to believe that just a few days ago, we were sitting under cherry blossom trees and confessing our feelings for each other. What had started as just a simple crush quickly evolved into a deep connection that I now felt I couldn't live without.

"Jia," Aiden called, breaking the silence. "Remember when you said I could kiss you whenever I wanted?"

"Yes," I responded, confused as to why he was asking that question at this very moment.

"Is that still allowed when you're about to get married off to your old friend from high school? You weren't very clear about the rules."

I chuckled, not only because it was funny, but because it was so ironic for someone to joke about their situation in a time like this. "Well, I'm not actually married yet, and we all know I didn't really choose to marry Anthony so... yes, it's still allowed."

He grinned, though the remaining tears still glimmered in his eyes. He took off his glasses and pocketed them, leaning in to press his lips to mine. The same odd feeling I got all the other times he'd kissed me returned. It was much stronger than it was before. My heart raced with passion, and an unusual sensation grew inside of me, spreading throughout my body.

Aiden pulled back a little for a few seconds, but we were still close. Our lips barely brushed against each other, but it was enough to send shivers down my spine. The feeling of his breath on my lips was teasing, heightening the urge to pick up where we stopped. Aiden, though, was way ahead of me.

He crashed his lips onto mine, this time more vigorously than before. One of his hands curled into my hair while his other arm wrapped tightly around my waist. A rush of adrenaline coursed through my veins, making me feel all shaky and nervous, but I didn't know why. I didn't care. I just kept my arms around him, savoring every second, knowing it would probably be the last.

I was so immersed in the moment that I didn't notice I was standing on the tips of my toes and clutching onto his shirt where my hands met behind him.

The kiss continued to grow deeper, and my heart just kept begging for more. We were both so captured by each other, thrilled by every second we spent basking in passion. But it all came to an end when Aiden turned away abruptly, a series of coughs escaping his throat.

"Aiden, you okay?" He nodded, still coughing into his arm.

"I'm fine," he said, recovering. "I'm just a little sick. I'll go to the doctor when I get back home."

"Please do." I tried to seem calm, even with the guilt that was breaking me inside. I had been so focused on my own problems for so long that I had completely forgotten that he was sick.

What if it's my fault? Maybe it wasn't a good idea to share a bed with him. Maybe I shouldn't have kissed him. Or taken him to the beach. And now he's leaving, and if something happens to him, I won't be there.

A knock interrupted my thoughts and Mrs. Miller entered the room. "Your ride is outside, Mr..."

"Sloan. But Aiden is fine." Aiden gave her a faint polite smile.

"Aiden," Mrs. Miller corrected herself. "I'm afraid it's time to go." I didn't think Mrs. Miller knew about the whole situation, but I saw the sympathy in her eyes.

"Okay," he replied, then turned to me. He pulled me to his chest one last time and said... "I love you."

Tears were falling once again. I tried to respond but I couldn't find the words.

Aiden placed a kiss on my forehead.

And then he was gone.