+~sixteen~+

"I'm sorry miss, the person you are trying to contact is currently in the hospital. I will let him know you called once he regains consciousness."

"When I get sick, it's deadly."

All my hopes of meeting him again shattered like glass, those pretty fantasies breaking into sharp pieces that cut my skin and hurt me now that i knew they wouldn't go the way I'd imagined. What hurt more was the guilt that fell upon my shoulders. I knew I should have taken him to see a doctor, even if he insisted that he was fine. But I just brushed it off and treated it like nothing, and now it seemed like history was repeating itself.

I can't lose someone else.

"Miss, are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm alright. Can you tell me which hospital he's staying in?"

+ + +

There he was, lying unconscious, his precious smile replaced by pale, cracked lips. I didn't know how long he'd been in this state, but I regretted every second I wasn't there with him.

I knelt beside his bed and took his hand in my own. It was burning hot; He probably had a fever.

"Aiden... I'm sorry I wasn't here."

No response. Of course.

"I have good news though. My dad had a change of heart... I don't have to marry Anthony."

A tear rolled down my cheek as I let out a breath I'd been holding in in attempts of not crying.

"I wish you were awake to hear this..."

I felt stupid for imagining everything I'd do when I saw him again. I gave myself false hope, raised my expectations too high, and it made this hurt so much more. I guess I really did have hope that I'd meet him at our usual spot again and kiss him under the cherry blossom trees, no one there to stop us anymore.

His hand tightened around mine.

"Jia?"

In a moment of alarm, I rushed to the door and yelled into the hall, calling for the doctor.

Behind me, Aiden tried to get out of bed, but I quickly got to his side and stopped him. "Stay in bed, the doctor's coming."

"Someone called for me?" The doctor hurried into the room, her white coat flitting behind her.

Aiden looked dazed, still not fully awake. "Where..."

"You were found passed out on the steps of your apartment a few hours ago," the doctor informed him. "One of your neighbors found you."

Aiden stared at nothing for a while, processing this information. He felt the bed beside him, searching for my hand. I let him take it into his, and he held it tightly, as if I was going to go away if he didn't. I'm not going anywhere. Not without you.

"Jia... Are you... How..."

"No. I didn't marry him. My dad changed his mind and let me go. He turned down Mrs. Breslin's deal for me. It was a very brave thing to do." I found myself smiling at the thought of my father, something that hadn't been possible in a long time.

His eyes lightened up a little, making him look a little more alive. "So... We're good?"

I sighed. "We are, but you're not. Don't think about me right now, you need to get better."

"Well," the doctor interfered. "I'll be going now. I'm glad you're awake, Mr. Sloan. I'm Dr. Caminos, call if you need anything."

We thanked the doctor, and she headed out. I looked back to Aiden, who had a grimace on his face. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head. "I feel old being called Mr. Sloan."

I looked at him for a while, grateful that the playful, smiling Aiden was back, even though he was still burning up with a fever. But he was Aiden, and Aiden never failed to make the best of any situation.

"At least your last name isn't Bates. It's weird, I hate being called Ms. Bates. Your last name isn't bad at all!"

He bit his lip, holding back a laugh.

"What's so funny, huh?" I questioned.

"If you hate your last name so much, maybe you should become Mrs. Sloan!"

I gasped dramatically, acting shocked. "Sir, are you asking me to be your wife after only three months of dating? What kind of girl do you think I am? I am offended!"

Aiden played along, gasping as well. "Are you rejecting me? Well, I'm offended!"

We joked and laughed it off, having fun despite the circumstances. Although we didn't reunite the way I had wanted, I still got my moment with him, and I was grateful that I did. Now my only worry was making sure he got better, and I would be by his side every step of the way.