+~nineteen~+

Five months later.

I wiped down the counter of the small coffee shop, delighted by my work that day. It was finally the end of the day, and I was tidying up the shop so I could leave. Thankfully, there wasn't too much to do. I had help.

"We're running out of chocolate chips," a voice said from the small storage closet. A short girl with black shoulder-length hair emerged from it, untying her apron.

"Don't worry about it, Cassie," I told her, untying my own apron as well. "I'll call the provider for a new shipment tomorrow."

Cassie sighed, slumping into a chair. "You worked hard today. You sure you don't wanna go to the movies with me and Owen?"

I shook my head. "I have my own things to do tonight. You know, the usual."

She shrugged. "Well, you do that. If you ever want to hang out with us, we're always available." She hung her apron on a rack and headed to the door. "Have a good night, Ji. Oh, and tell Owen he's taking too long, I'm waiting for him in the car."

I offered her a smile. "I'll let him know."

And as if on cue, a panicked Owen stumbled out of the restroom with toilet paper on his shoe and his shirt messily tucked in. "Wait, Cass! Cass, Cassie!" He ran across the cafe, trying to catch up with Cassie, who was already out the door.

"Owen, wait!" I called to him, and he began to walk backwards, facing me. "Owen, uhh... You're going to-"

Crash.

"...hit something." I rushed over to him, and helped him stand up. I swear, this man is a mess.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry," he apologized frantically. " I didn't mean to... I was just..."

I dismissed his apology, lifting the table he'd knocked over back into its place. "Don't worry about it. I was just going to say, remember I need you to cover for me tomorrow, I won't be here for my usual shift."

"Thank you! And I got it. I better get going now, sorry!" He hurried over to the door and waved on his way out.

"Typical Owen," I said to myself. "It's why I love him, though." Finally, I hung up my apron and walked out the door, locking it behind me. I put in my ear buds and got on my bike, then began my ride home.

Soft music played into my ears as the colors of the world around me passed by in a blur. I slowed down at times to admire houses with pretty gardens, or a dog passing by with its owner. The trip was calm, peaceful, and much quicker than it would've been in a car, considering the traffic at this hour. This was mainly the reason I decided to ride a bike to and from work, besides staying in shape. It was a good way to distract myself.

I came to a stop when I reached the front of my apartment building. I pulled my bike up the stairs, my arms aching as I struggled to bring it up. This was the most inconvenient part of riding a bike, but it was still worth it. Once I got up the stairs, I was able to pull the bike along with ease. I reached my apartment and went inside, leaving the bike right at the entrance of my living room.

I checked my phone for the time. It was 5:32 pm. I have some time.

I took a quick shower and changed into fresh clothes before going to the kitchen to start preparing dinner. I thought I'd make some broccoli cheddar soup, since it was what I made best. I laid out the ingredients on the counter before getting to work.