Chapter Seven

"Well, that's wonderful to hear! Mr. Cliffton, while you are her guardian, I'm hoping you'll accept Naomi's decision. A decision that affects her more than you or I can fully comprehend."

Naomi exchanged pleading looks with her father. The king was goading him, daring him to disagree. It was unlikely that he would. Staring into his daughter's eyes, he saw her resolve was firm.

"If this is what you want...I'll stand by you," he said.

Naomi's heart sang with relief. She turned back to the king, awaiting further instructions.

"I'm glad to see we're all on the same page." King Drewell grinned. He motioned for Martin and Naomi to rejoin him at the table.

"Although...there is one last thing," the king said the second they were seated comfortably.

"What do you mean? Isn't that enough?" Martin replied.

"It's enough for you two. It guarantees your protection, but I would also like something out of this deal."

"Like what?" Naomi asked.

King Drewell locked eyes with her. His expression was so stern and determined Naomi recoiled from him. Whatever he said next would be life-changing.

"I need you to go a step further to solidify your dedication. I'd like you to become one of Malcolm's personal guards."

"What?" Naomi squeaked.

"After what you did today, you've proven that—with training—you could become a great asset to our protective detail. I must admit, a dragon shifter on our side places us at a great advantage."

Martin jumped up from his seat. "Are you insane? She's sixteen. What does she know about warfare and fighting? You want to risk my child's life for the sake of your own."

His steam was ferocious, to the point Naomi worried this argument might lead to a physical altercation. With the king's army, it was a fight her father would lose. It seemed possible as King Drewell's face darkened.

"Listen, Martin. You may be Naomi's father, but I am the king of this entire realm. I have been patient with your outbursts, but I do have a limit."

At his words and Naomi's tug on his arm, her father sat back down.

"Excuse me, Your Majesty," he apologized, but his gritted teeth marred his regret with insincerity.

"King Drewell, forgive me. To an extent, I have to agree with my father. I'm green to the worldly matters of royalty and know less about fighting with battle magic." Naomi's testament was partially a lie. Her mother had taught her plenty about defending herself. The king didn't need to know that, though.

"That's why being a part of Malcolm's entourage will be to your benefit. He attends Legacy Academy. The finest school in the city. As his guard, you would study there and get the best education."

"I'd never get in. I heard the entrance exam is grueling," Naomi said, feigning academic weakness.

"Nonsense. I can assure you the test will only be a formality."

Naomi narrowed her eyes. She didn't need the king's charity. She might not be a genius, but she was no simpleton, either. If she could afford that overpriced boarding school, she believed she could handle it. But either way, she didn't want to go. Being the prince's guard would be a thankless job. If yesterday was any indication, Malcolm liked to run away from their scrutiny. Who needed the headache of chasing him around?

"Sir, I don't think I'm suited for this role," Naomi replied.

"Whether you think so or not, I believe you are. As such, it is important that you heed my advice. If you truly want our partnership to work, this arrangement is in your best interest. You would also be paid for your services."