Chapter Twenty-Seven

"I still don't believe it!" Lark said again.

She'd repeated this exclamation so many times on the way back to school Naomi had lost count. After they had left Miss Constance's office, she had told everything to Lark, and Lark had been almost as shocked as Naomi.

"Well, believe it. Because our next step is to find out when she went here," Naomi said.

She made her statement quietly as they passed by a disgruntled Mrs. Tinkle on their way back through the school gates. The woman looked particularly irritated today, and Naomi wanted to fly by unnoticed.

"Let's tackle the library. There's got to be some old yearbooks or papers that we can go through."

Naomi turned toward that certain corridor, but Lark stopped her.

"We can't. The library closes at five on the weekends. It's already five-thirty."

"Are you kidding me?" Naomi ran her fingers through her hair in desperation. She briefly thought about pulling a real detective trick by breaking in.

"It's okay. Tomorrow is Sunran, and they'll be open again."

"Yeah, I guess..."

Naomi began to strategize. Tomorrow she also had a practice session with Malcolm for the Summit Trials that would also take place in the library. She just had to go early and spend a few hours poring over old photos first. After mulling this over—and arriving back in their dorm room—Naomi and Lark fell back on their beds, exhausted.

"I appreciate you coming with me, Lark."

"Of course. It was no problem. We made some great discoveries. Plus, your dad is amazing."

"I like to think so." Naomi grinned.

"Yeah. It's clear you two are close. That must be nice..." Lark studied her bedspread. It was only after a few seconds that Naomi realized she was tearing up.

"Lark, what's wrong?" Naomi went over to sit on her bed.

"Nothing. I know today isn't about me. But when I saw you with your dad...it's like, you two really love each other. You're one of those adorable, loving families you see on comedy programs or something. But my parents..."

Lark wiped at her eyes, ashamed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to start talking about myself."

"No, tell me."

Lark rested her head on the wall and gazed off into the distance, at some solemn image only she could see.

"They think it's a phase, Naomi. They think I'll grow out of it."

"You being gay?"

"Yeah, like I can magically turn it off, and when the time is right, I'll marry Alexander."

"Who's Alexander?"

Lark waved her hand off-handedly. "Some stupid twit they think I'll marry if they press hard enough."

"I'm sorry." Naomi squeezed her hand. "But you'll have to fight them on it. Fight to love who you want. Fight to be who you want."

"Don't you think I've tried that? You may get shit for being a dragon shifter, but being different in this school—including being gay—it's like, I get the whispers too, you know. The looks. Every day I'm fighting to hold my head up high as I walk through the halls. And I'm so tired. I'm tired of fighting."

Naomi wrapped Lark up in the strongest hug she could.

"I know it's got to be hard. But you're strong, Lark. You're tired of fighting, but every day, you wake up with that smile on your face...and I know you won't let them beat you. You won't let this place break you. One day, when you're out of this school and out from under your parents' influence, you can do whatever you want."