Chapter Thirty-Five

The aisles of books seemed to stretch for miles. When Naomi had previously been in the library, she hadn't considered how such a plethora of reading material could truly affect her.

Now she did.

Naomi studied the shelving cart, stacked full of books, with unease.

"Don't think you can get away with shoving the books any place you want," Mr. Baldwin droned on, admonishing her. "It's strictly organized by an extensive system. If you mishandle the catalog, I'll know."

She didn't doubt it. Mr. Baldwin had a look about him that implied he would have nothing better to do. With stern, quick eyes, and such tense posture, he'd be watching her vigilantly. The man was an insufferable micro-manager.

After dutifully listening to the rest of his instructions, Naomi started her task. The cart didn't make it any easier. Its back wheels were rusty, making the apparatus difficult to steer. Nevertheless, it wasn't an overly strenuous activity to put the books away. The monotony had Naomi checking her watch every five minutes. To think she would be stuck doing this an hour per day after her classes. Technically, she shouldn't complain. Malcolm had done her a favor by getting her this duty instead of being kicked out of Legacy.

Besides, being assigned to the library meant she'd have more time to try and track down the history surrounding her grandmother. Between the school dance, the Summit Trials, and the chaos at the concert, Naomi hadn't had time to pick up where she and Lark had left off. Thankfully, Lark had agreed to stop by and dig some more while Naomi worked. After her shift was over, Naomi would join her on finishing up their list and finding more leads.

Lost in her thoughts, Naomi almost missed someone tapping her on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, miss, but do you have anything on Silvan leopard toads?"

"A what?" Baffled, Naomi turned to address the student only to find it was Quinn.

"Silvan leopard toads," Quinn repeated, eyes wide and innocent.

"Stop messing with me."

"They're a real thing. I swear."

"Regardless, I don't know how to help you, sir."

"You're not a very good librarian, then, are you?"

Swatting him with one of her many books, Naomi's heart lightened. While it had only been a couple of days since the ethics debate, it felt like she hadn't seen or talked to Quinn one-on-one in forever. She hadn't liked the feeling.

"How have you been, stranger?" he teased.

"You're the stranger. You've barely spoken to me since—"

"Since you beat my ass to a pulp in the First Trial? Yes, I know. I've been busy studying up." Quinn waved his book in front of her.

"Ah, I see. Trying to think up ways to beat me and Malcolm in the next round, huh?"

"Something like that, yes."

"Are you feeling prepared now?"

"Very." He quirked a formidable brow.

"I wouldn't be too sure." Naomi imitated his gesture.

"Why's that?"

"Because I'm meeting up with Malcolm later. I'm sure we'll come up with something that'll blow you out of the water."

The next trial was coming up fast. This coming weekend, the Summit Trials participants would be shipped off to Aequor to compete there. The beach-like colony was a long tram ride away from Patria. It seemed like a big trip to make just for the trial, but the timing of the event worked out rather well. Back at Legacy, everyone else would be celebrating a three day weekend as Eco-Day happened to fall on Firan. The holiday celebrated Tyrra's energy conservation efforts and what citizens could do to better the environment. Typically, a throwaway holiday, Naomi never thought much of it. But knowing the other students would be able to relax in the dorms, while she battled the unknown, marred the idea of a seaside adventure.