Chapter Twenty-Six

About fifteen minutes later, they had navigated their way to Marks Street. From above, it was hard to see which building, in particular, it could be. They would need a closer, street-level view for that.

When they hit the ground, they were forced to ask around. Through conversations with several people on the street, the girls got an address. They'd landed in a good spot because the orphanage was only a few blocks down.

Naomi went at a fast pace as she made her way there, with Lark rushing to keep up. When they came face-to-face with the orphanage, it wasn't exactly a pretty sight. The outer walls were a shabby shade of gray. Several men who appeared to be homeless were sitting on the stoop next door. This wasn't the best part of town, but Naomi had seen worse.

Lark hadn't.

"Naomi, are you sure we're safe coming here?" she hissed.

"Don't worry, princess. I'll protect you." Naomi comforted her.

Lark took her words to heart, staying right on Naomi's heels, as they went up the stone steps and through the battered wooden door. Inside, the decor was better. It had seen age, but it was clean, with warm, peach-colored walls, and a smooth, tiled floor.

As they passed through the entryway, the corridor ahead of them was long. It was unclear which route would lead them to the director's office.

"Where do we start?" Lark said, peeking into a nearby room. Naomi followed suit and looked over Lark's shoulder.

They peered into a playroom. Children of various ages entertained themselves with toys and dolls. Several other kids read books or played with board games. Naomi spotted her old favorite, Duel Alliance. It was a popular game, in which you could form pacts with players while battling others. The best part was the attacks you chose worked. The charmed characters would act out the battles with sparks of magic flying across the board.

As the two girls looked on, one young boy spotted them. Small, with jagged, brown hair, he had an inquisitive look as he walked right up to them.

"Hi. I'm Tobey."

"Hi, Tobey. It's nice to meet you." Lark shook the boy's hand. When she did, the boy placed a silver button in her hand.

"And this one is for you," Tobey said politely, giving Naomi one as well.

"Why thank you, Tobey."

"You're welcome. It's what brothers do. I have to practice for when I become someone's brother someday."

Naomi felt a pang of sorrow. While the children here might look content, there was no denying something was missing. She couldn't bear to imagine her mother growing up the same way Tobey was, desperately hoping to be taken in by a kind family.

"Hello, can I help you two?" a woman said as she walked toward them. She had a kind face, one that came only with patience and understanding. Qualities that were greatly needed for children like Tobey.

"Um, yes. I think so. We're looking for the director of the orphanage."

"That's me. Constance Greene. Although you can call me Constance."

"Do you mind if I talk to you for a moment?" Naomi asked.

"Sure. We can go to my office." Constance ushered Tobey back to the playroom before guiding Naomi and Lark further down the hallway. As they trailed behind her, Naomi whispered to Lark: "I need you to wait outside."

"Fine. But that means you have to ask the right questions. When, where, why. And get some details this time," Lark hissed.

"All right, Barnaby," Naomi said.

She got one last look at her roommate's forlorn face before closing the door to Miss Constance's office. When they were both seated, the director looked at her expectantly.

"What can I help you with, Miss...?"

"Naomi. I'm looking for some information about a child from this orphanage."

"Well, you're much too young to adopt on your own, which makes me rather curious."

"It's not about a current child. It's about...my mom. She grew up here."

"Ah. I see. And what's your mother's name?"

"Teresa Cliffton. Well, Cliffton is her married name. She might have gone by something else back then."

Constance's expression grew sharp, and she studied Naomi closely.

"You're Naomi Cliffton?"

"Yes."

"The dragon shifter girl," the woman said, recognition fully hitting her.

"Um, yes...which, as you can imagine, makes this even more important. From what I can tell, you did know my mother, right?"

"Naomi...I'm afraid I can't tell you anything your mother hasn't already."

"That's the problem. She didn't tell me anything."

"Unfortunately, I can't help you. This isn't my place. You'll have to talk with her." Constance pushed her chair back, ready to throw Naomi out.

Naomi latched onto the woman's hand. "I can't talk to her. She...she passed away six years ago."

Constance fell back into her chair, the news slowly sinking in.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I was very fond of Tess."

"Tess?"

"That's what we called her back then," Constance murmured, lost in a distant memory.

"Well, she died before I got to ask her anything important. Before I found out about her past. I'm looking for any information I can find about her, or if I have any other family out there. If you could tell me what you do know, I'll take it from there. Please," Naomi said, still holding onto the woman's hand. She only released it when Constance nodded.

"Tess came to the orphanage a long time ago. I knew about her secret, being a dragon shifter, and I helped her. I promised her mother that I would help Tess hide her abilities to keep her safe."

"And who was her mother? My grandmother, I mean."

"Her name was Julia. She was pretty and young, but she was also scared. She had to be only about sixteen. She had no idea what to do with a child, let alone one that was a dragon shifter. She left her with me."

"Is there anything else you can tell me about her? Where she came from, where she could be now?"

"I don't know about now, but back then, she was a student at that school."

"What school?"

"Your school, Naomi. On that public announcement, they said you go to Legacy now. Isn't that right?"

The world spun. Naomi's whole world tilted on its axis as she tried to process what Constance had said.

"Are you sure she went to Legacy? Absolutely positive?" Naomi asked.

"Yes. When she came, she was wearing the school uniform. Naomi, are you okay?"

"I'm fine..." Naomi managed to get out. "Is there anything else you remember, Miss Constance?"

"No. Sadly, that's it. I hope it's helpful."

"It is. Thank you," Naomi said.

She got to her feet, saying a grateful good-bye. But on the inside, she was spinning in a haze of confusion.

Her grandmother had been a student at Legacy.

Was this some twist of fate? That she now went to the school her grandmother had gone to? Was it part of some cosmic plan—or a bitter joke? Either way, Naomi had no idea where it would lead.

*** I know where it will lead! 😉And I think we ALL know Naomi is in for a lot more drama and secrets.