6. you're welcome, world

"He asked you to what?!"

"Shh!" I hiss at Kim looking around the kitchen. We're on prep duty as we get ready for tonight's service. I like doing prep. It's less chaotic. It's the calm before the storm. It's been a good week so far. I can't believe it's Friday already. I hadn't seen Kim since Tuesday so I hadn't had the chance to tell her about Derek.

At first, I had decided that I wasn't going to tell anyone but at the same time, it would feel like it never happened if I didn't tell anyone. I don't even know why it matters if it's over. It's just something that happened now. No big deal.

"I'm sorry!" Kim whispers. "I just can't believe it!"

"You can't tell anyone." I warn.

She wiggles her eyebrows at me. "Does that mean you're going to do it?"

I shake my head. "No, I told him no."

Her eyes widen in surprise. "Anyone else would've jumped at the opportunity to be Derek's girlfriend. You are crazy."

"He said he would pay me." I roll my eyes. "He literally thinks money can get him anything he wants."

"I mean, money is important," Kim says with a shrug.

"I know it is. I just didn't want to give in. He's so used to people saying yes to him. He needs to learn life isn't supposed to be that easy."

She laughs. "You love saying no to him, don't you?"

I can't hide my smile. "It's fun," I say with a shrug. "Someone's gotta do it."

"You weren't tempted to say yes?" she asks turning to look at me as we continue to work.

"Yes." I sigh. "It could have been a lot of fun."

It really could have. I wouldn't let Derek pay me to do it despite me needing the money. I just couldn't do it in exchange for that. It would make me feel dirty for some reason. But I know he could have offered me the adventure I've been seeking. That would have been my payment. The opportunity to explore and do something I've never done before. Since when was dating a celebrity on top of my bucket list? Well, since it became possible.

And now I've had to turn it away. Maybe if I get matched to a more decent celebrity with manners and humility? Yeah. That's not going to happen, is it?

"What are you going to do if he comes back?"

"He won't," I say then roll my eyes. "I'm sure he's already moved onto the next girl."

A girl that will give him all the yeses he wants.

"Sucks for his best friend," Kim says. "Poor him."

I frown. "Yeah, I do feel kind of bad for him."

Kim shakes her head. "I still can't believe you turned him down twice."

I roll my eyes. "I'm trying to teach him a lesson. You're welcome, world."

She bursts out laughing and I can't help but laugh with her. Unfortunately, it's at the same time our manager, Jim, is walking into the kitchen. By the look on his face, I can tell he's not in a good mood today. Great.

"Hey, Savannah! Come clean this mess up!"

I try not to groan at him as he points at the puddle of water on the floor. Jim can be a chill manager when he wants to be. He used to be harder on me when I began working here. He still makes me cry sometimes. I never cry in front of him, of course. I always go to the bathroom and let it out. I don't cry because I'm sad. I cry because I'm angry that I can't yell back at him because I need the stupid job. It's a horrible feeling.