1. Train Rides

A little short but I kind of like it

Also, I tried writing it in second-person so let me know what you think of that format. I'll probably just stick to first-person but it was fun to experiment.

The landscape blurred outside the train windows, the indigo sky turning to endless obscurity of darkness. You sighed, turning from the window to simply consider the boy sitting across from you. He looked young, maybe 18 or 19, though you knew sleep could be deceiving. He had his earbuds in and was slumped against the wall, mouth slightly parted. You could see a slight gap-tooth between his lips. His hair was dark and messy, sprawled over his forehead. His hoodie swathed his thin frame, black jeans clinging to his long, lean legs. He was wearing chunky sneakers, the kind you saw everywhere but never had the confidence to pull off.

A chime went off and you cringed at the volume, glancing at the sleeping boy across from you. He shifted slightly but his long lashes hardly moved. You dug in your pocket for your phone. A message from your ex displayed on the screen. You scoffed, rolling your eyes that the idiot was still contacting you despite your split over four months ago.

You shoved the phone back into the recesses of your oversized coat just to blanch again as it rang, this time continuing in your ringtone. You scrambled to pick it up, not bothering to let it ring long enough to check the caller ID.

"Hello?" You asked.

"Y/n, baby, you finally answered." Your ex's voice sounded happy on the other end of the phone.

"I didn't have time to check the caller ID," you snapped quietly. "What do you want?"

"I want you back, baby. I know I did you wrong but-"

"We broke up because you cheated on me multiple times. I'm not getting back together with you. Stop calling, you're starting to sound desperate," you hissed, pulling away from the device and hitting the end button.

"Sounds like one hell of a relationship." The boy's voice was groggy but he grinned cutely as he rubbed at his eyes.

You flushed hotly. "Sorry it woke you up."

The boy shrugged, letting you get a good look at his oceanic eyes. "No worries. I shouldn't've fallen asleep anyway. I'm Daniel, by the way." He leaned forward and stuck out his hand. You shook it. His long fingers were warm around your chilled hand.

"Y/n." You offered him a smile. "Nice to meet you."

***

Two years later

Your hand clasped around Daniel's as you maneuvered into the train car, shooting him a smile. He returned with his familiar warm grin. As you got inside and found seats you looked at him. "This was the same train we met on. Do you remember, Dani?"

"How could I forget, love?" He squeezed your hand.

You rested your head on his shoulder, yawning. It was late evening, just like the night you met, the indigo sky dark and splattered with stars. A smile formed on your lips as the train blurred the outside world, a scene so nostalgic that you found yourself pulled back into memories.

"I'm so glad you woke up," you murmured.

"So glad you woke me up," he returned. "Although I remember I was having a really good nap before you came along."

You rolled your eyes and smacked him lightly. "Shut up, train boy."