Catalyst

.:. Rating : R .:.

Summary: High school AU OR the one where Mikey might be having not-so-pure thoughts about the school’s newest soccer player; Ryan is a jealous emo lesbian; and Gerard thinks that love is all you need.

---
For Mikey, the whole thing starts when Gerard tells him about Frank.

“It just happened,” Gerard says, his voice coming out no louder than a hushed whisper through the cell phone. The incessant buzzing of his phone had woken Mikey up this morning – a Saturday, one of his two days out of the week to sleep in – but when he had seen Gerard’s name flashing across the screen, he pushed back his thoughts of more sleep and possibly some water for his dry mouth thanks to a couple too many beers last night, and answered it with a croaked out groan of “Gerard, it’s fucking seven in the morning.”

Now though, only a couple seconds into the conversation, not even a minute, Mikey is feeling wide-awake. “You what?” he asks. He doesn’t even try to keep the surprise out of his question, because seriously, what?

From the other end, Mikey can hear Gerard sigh, and then he can hear rustling around and the faint sound of a door closing shut. “Jesus, Mikey. Keep it down.”

In the background, there’s a din of background noise: muffled talking and shuffled feet. “Where are you now?”

“In the hallway,” Gerard says, and Mikey can almost imagine Gerard in one of his stupid oversized t-shirts that he always wears to bed sitting against the wall of his hallway, legs to his chest, hair hanging down in front of his eyes. “You were being fucking loud.”

Mikey closes his eyes for a second, not for a moment of stolen sleep – no, that idea is far from his mind now – but because he doesn’t even know how to deal with this situation. “God, he’s in your room, isn’t he?”

“Well, it wouldn’t have been very nice for me to kick him out,” Gerard responds, huffing a little, and for a moment Mikey almost smiles because even though the situation is strange, the answer is still so Gerard.

“Okay, okay,” Mikey grumbles, and he pulls on a crumpled pair of sweat pants as he cradles his phone against his shoulder. “Hang on a second.”

“Why? Don’t go back to bed, you asshole.”

“I need to get some fucking water, alright? If I have to deal with this shit, I’ll need some water,” Mikey grumbles as he slips out of his room and pads toward the kitchen. He tries to keep his voice low, though. His mom is still sleeping.

“Are you hung over, Mikey?” Gerard asks, and when Mikey doesn’t answer because he’s gulping down a glass of water, he sighs. “You shouldn’t be out drinking every weekend.”

Refilling his glass, Mikey gives a short laugh and says, “Look who’s talking.” It’s a low blow, but Mikey doesn’t feel like explaining himself to Gerard this early in the morning. “This doesn’t matter,” he says. “Tell me about how exactly you and Frank ended up having sex.” He pauses. “Except for without the actual sex part. I don’t need to hear that.”

And that’s how Mikey spends his morning: hung over and listening to Gerard talk about just how great Frank is and how happy he is.

It almost gives Mikey a worse headache than the hangover.

---

Mikey doesn’t know if he believes in fate and destiny and all that, but later that night, when he’s at a party with Gabe and Ray, leaning against the wall of someone’s house that he doesn’t know, he thinks about what Gerard had said.