A Town

"Life isn't fair," Marian Mells told The Soldier with a shrug. "You get kicked around and yelled at just for staring too long at a person or a place. I'm not surprised Brair requested for me to come. He's always said I've been too privileged for a wood nymph."

The Soldier had learned that Marian talked a lot. She also had a lot of energy, despite how tiny she was; only being five feet tall at most.

"So, what do you think?"

The Soldier blinked. "I'm sorry..." he said. "What are we talking about?"

The heavy wooden doors of the castle swung wide open as Brair the Brilliant waltzed in. He seemed to be in a good mood, despite the fact that it was only five in the morning. Even if the wizard wasn't tired, The Soldier sure was.

"Good morning," Brair said. "Were you able to sleep well?"

No.

But The Soldier couldn't say that, especially in front of an absurdly cheerful group, so he just nodded silently. Marian the nymph, on the other hand, talked about how lovely it was to hear the night birds coo in the garden as she slept in the tallest tree.

"You two will want to be on your way now, I expect," said Brair. "There are two guards just outside the Caulordan walls with two horses and supplies prepared for you. If you need my help, Marian knows how to contact me."

"Do I?" asked the nymph.

"Just a simple fountain spell shall work," Brair said with a wink. "Now, to the wall?"

He led them out of the castle, but kept Marian under his wing, letting her hold onto his forearm. They walked through the village square, where farmers were just beginning to wake up. Farm animals clucked and barked and mooed for food in their pens. Marian seemed entertained by it all, despite how boring it all was.

After a good quarter mile, they made it to the end of Caulorda, where an old stone wall met them. The wall was stout but sturdy, with a little wooden gate at the center of it all. The wizard pushed open the door, where two guardsmen awaited them with the supplies Brair had promised.

The horses were beautiful creatures; silky brown and strong. The Soldier couldn't help but smile when he saw them. Mounting his horse was an even better feeling- a familiar one- that made his drowsiness disappear.

"Be brave," Brair said to Marian, cupping her face with his hand.

"Thank you," she said with a smile.

Marian kissed the wizard's cheek, and had one of the guardsmen help her onto her steed. Braid the Brilliant had vanished before The Soldier could thank the strange man. When the quest was through, he would have to come back to personally thank the wizard himself. And the king as well, saying he didn't die during the journey.

"Are you ready to go?" The Soldier asked.

Marian Mells smiled. "I've been ready my whole life."

° ° °

The Soldier had no memories of his past, but the strange blur Brair produced from his brain's subconscious. The one of darkness surrounding him as rain began to pelt at his face. He remembered the unbearable pain in his chest, and as he thought about it, The Soldier noticed that it was still there. As well as a prick in his arm, just where his main artery was.

The horse that The Soldier rode allowed him to forget about that vision. He listened to the comforting rhythm of the horse's long strides as its steady gallop yelled in his ears. Cold wind blew in his face, but not enough that he had to shut his eyes.