Chapter Twelve

Lydia was a surprisingly great listener. Everything spilled out of my mouth like an old faucet turned on the for first time in years. I told her about Harry, and his painting of The Soldier and Marian Mells. I talked about my parents' fights, and my encounters with Sara May and Brianna. Lydia said nothing throughout it, but nodded on occasion, her face twisted into concentration.

"It's really weird and creepy, I know," I finally said. "I don't even know him, but he looks so peaceful in his sleep and I just get so lonely. And it's strange, but I feel like he listens, you know? Harry listens to my stories about The Soldier and Marian and the stupid witches who really are more about Brianna than the others."

Lydia had her hands clasped together, just below her face. She nodded again, absorbing all of what I had been telling her for the past ten minutes.

I had finished my story now, and I felt even worse than before. I let out a breath, and leaned against the bedroom wall, waiting for an answer. Lydia was probably weirded out by me now. Thank goodness I didn't mention what my story was actually about. Then I would be a freak and a nerd.

"That's... a lot," Lydia admitted, biting her knuckles. "You really go see him every day?"

Time to die, I guess. "Yeah," I admitted.

Lydia nodded again. "Do you like Harry?"

"I don't really know him," I answered, although I could feel my face flush. "I'm weird, I know."

"You're definitely weird," Lydia said, letting out a laugh, "although not for that. I think it's cute that you go see him."

I blinked. "Wait, really?" That didn't seem right to me. "Every day."

"And you tell him stories," Lydia added. "I've gotta admit, the number of times you told me he looked 'ever-so peaceful' and pretty is creepy, but it's not like you're hurting anybody." Lydia smiled at me, and lightly punched my shoulder. "You're taking something bad and turning it good. I think it's great."

"Huh, wow. I wasn't expecting it to be that easy to talk about," I said, pushing back my bangs. I still felt giddy inside, even though it was all over.

"You're fine, Alice!" Lydia said, showing off her pearly teeth. "So tell me more about The Soldier. Do you have his whole story figured out yet?"

I had more than that! I knew everything about him and Marian, like what they liked and hated, what made them tick (each other), and what made them happy (also each other). I pushed myself off of the bed, and grabbed my backpack from the ground. Opening my bag, I pulled out my notebook, and let Lydia see all of my ideas scribbled into the first ten or twelve pages.

"I may have an idea or two," I answered proudly.

"Tell me about them."

° ° °

School was slow, as per usual. I stood against my locker at the end of the hall, and waited for Lydia to meet me. If she wasn't going to arrive in three minutes, I seriously was going to leave without her. Although I really didn't have anything to actually time with, so maybe I shouldn't make threats like that. I had lost my watch on the trip from Winnipeg to Gopher, and I didn't have a phone to check the time on.

With the exception of the real-life Sisters of the Untrained Eye, everyone began ignoring me again. It was actually kind of nice, knowing that I was, in fact, normal. I mean, it was better than being one of those creepy people who wears fake cat tails to school and hisses at other people. One of those guys passed me by in the hall, and even I had to look away.

People kept coming in and out of the halls, usually in groups. I saw Noah Owens come into the hall, and our eyes met. He gave me a smile, and waved cheerfully. I smiled back, giving him a little salute with two fingers.