A Bridge

The Bridge of Truths stood right in front of The Soldier. He had lost two friends that day to go on their own little adventure. It was just him and Marian Mells now, and she stood right by his side. It had been such a long journey, and they didn't even go through it all together. This time The Soldier was determined to stay with her until the whole trip was over.

"You ready?" The Soldier asked his friend.

"I think so," she answered. "I mean, what have we got to lose, right Harry?"

Harry, right, that was his name now. It was strange, finally remembering everything again. There were no more empty gaps in his mind, and everything had been filled in. He remembered his old family and his old life, and it now intertwined with the life he now had. They seemed worlds apart, like stories held in two different leather-bound books. Sure, they had similar characters and similar settings, but one was a fairy tale and the other a fable. And he wasn't quite sure he wanted the book he needed the get.

It didn't matter. His name was Harry now. How was he constantly forgetting that?

Maybe you're not forgetting, a voice in the back of his mind said to him. Maybe you're just ignoring it. Like you're ignoring the future and what you will do afterwards.

The Soldier swatted the mean voice away, and looked down at Marian. Neither of them had moved for quite a while. It was just a bridge, and a pretty one at that. Why were they so scared to cross it? Even if they confessed to something they didn't want to, it wasn't like Lyda was there to tease them about it. Or anyone for that matter. They were completely alone.

"I'll go first," The Soldier said, stepping out towards the bridge.

He let the shimmering mist surround him, and a sense of peace washed over Harry. Someone began to speak, but no body could be seen. The voice was calm and gentle, and it vibrated off of the bridge and the air around him.

"Hello, traveler," the bridge said. "Speak to me in honest truth; from something recent to your youth; whisper to me of the ways; you wish to truly spend your days. Why dost thou come here in search of the Tree of Life?"

"Hi," said The Soldier, waving awkwardly. "I'm here to stop dying."

Light shined into his eyes and fell down onto where his heart was while glowing a pretty baby blue. Something from the bridge chimed, and the mist pulled away from him.

"You may pass," the bridge said.

The Soldier smiled and stepped onto the bridge. That was easy. Once he was on the other side, he turned around to watch Marian go. She stepped up to the golden plate, standing stiff and awkward. The mist surrounded her as it did The Soldier, although this time he was allowed to watch. She became blurry inside of the mist like a dryad underwater. Marian didn't look as comfortable as one though. She shut her eyes tight, her hands glued to her side.

"Hello, traveler," the bridge said again. "Speak to me in honest truth; from something recent to your youth; whisper to me of the ways; you wish to truly spend your days. Why dost thou come here in search of the Tree of Life?"

"A wizard sent me to help The Soldier," Marian said, though her voice sounded muffled by the magic surrounding her.

The same light that hit The Soldier paced along her eyes once she opened them, and travelled down towards her heart. However, it stopped there and began to flicker. Soon, the light disappeared.

"I'm sorry," said the bridge, "but that is not correct. Why dost thou come here in search of the Tree of Life?"

Marian seemed just as confused as The Soldier was. She hesitated to answer until a new answer hit her. Marian stood up straighter and lifted her chin upwards.