Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Five

It was the first time in a decade that she'd used an expletive, let alone several of them in quick succession.

'Why... the bloody hell... does it have to be so painful,' grated Rufin. Ynara agreed with him entirely, setting her teeth while her body tried to expel every piece of food she'd ever eaten in her life.

'Won't last,' she gasped. Poor Orillin's face had passed through stark white and progressed to pale green. She went to him, holding his head while he vomited.

'You'll be all right in a moment,' she murmured.

He managed a weak smile. 'It's training. I've made the crossing too many times lately. Wears you down, I suppose.'

'Of course.'

Eyas was lying on his back in the grass. 'Every time I do this, I think - this time - I'm definitely going to die.'

'Rubbish.' Aysun was white with tension under his tan, but otherwise he was remarkably unaffected. Ynara knew him well enough to guess that he simply refused to display his discomfort. She patted his arm lightly and he flashed her a brief smile.

'Better get on,' he said. 'Sooner we reach my father's house, the better.'

'How do you know where to find him?' Ynara asked the question in an undertone. Aysun responded with a humourless smile.

'I don't. But he has a habit of finding me.'

Aysun was right, for soon after their arrival in the Uppers there came a whirring of wings and a flash of colour and Llandry's erstwhile companion appeared. At least, it looked like the same creature. Ynara raised a questioning brow at her husband and he nodded confirmation.

'Follow that,' he said curtly. Orillin watched the creature's progress with an expression of puzzlement on his youthful face.

'Irilapter?' he asked. 'Odd. Its mind doesn't feel the way I'd expect.'

'It has a passenger,' Aysun replied, though he refused to explain further.

Rufin took the lead, flanked by Eyas and - at his own insistence - Orillin.

'I can be useful in this,' he'd protested when Ynara had tried to shepherd him behind the others. Watching him take his position at Rufin's left, she suffered some misgivings. He was under their protection, and it was her job to keep him safe. But she ruthlessly suppressed her doubts. She'd tried to protect Llandry by hiding her from all danger, but all she'd achieved by it was frustrating Llan to the point that she'd run away. The consequences of that had been severe. The last thing they could afford to do was push Orillin's youthful pride to breaking point.

Aysun kept his wife close, stationing them both behind Orillin. Ynara had to be content with that, merely praying that they wouldn't encounter anything excessively dangerous before they reached Aysun's father's house.

She sneaked a glance at her husband. She had been surprised when he'd suggested taking Orillin to his father. He'd returned not long ago swearing never to have anything to do with the man again. But she couldn't deny that the plan was the best option they had; up here, Orillin would be well hidden.

And she was curious to meet the infamous Rheas Irfan.

'Trouble yonder,' said Orillin suddenly. Ynara noticed Eyas cast him a sharp look.

'You sure, lad?'

At Orillin's nod, Eyas whistled. 'You've a better range than mine, then. What's the danger?'

'Orboe,' he replied.

Ynara didn't recognise the name, but the word rattled Eyas. He turned back quickly.