Orlind: Chapter Nineteen

Eva and Tren returned to Griel's house to find he and his wife engaged in an intense conversation. They cut this short as Eva appeared.

'We cannot take you to Krays,' Ana snapped.

'Oh?' said Eva with studied calm. 'Why not?'

'Because he cannot be found.'

Was this the truth, Eva wondered, or was Ana trying to delay? 'I know the university people at Draetre were unsure of his whereabouts, but I thought that you would have better information.'

Ana snorted. 'Why would you suppose that? Being unpredictable is part of his power. You don't go to him: he finds you.'

'Well then, when do you think he will next come to find you?'

'That is not possible to predict.'

Two possibilities flitted through Eva's thoughts. One: perhaps she was telling the truth, in which case this was indeed a problem; but then why hadn't Ana mentioned this before? The alternative was that they were playing some other game and had never intended to carry through Eva's plan.

If the latter, they wouldn't get rid of Eva and Tren so easily. Eva settled herself in Griel's most comfortable chair and crossed her trouser-clad legs.

Ana scowled down at her. 'What are you doing?'

'Waiting.'

'For what?'

'For you to resolve this problem.'

Ana's eyes narrowed. 'It will take some time.'

'We will remain here in the meantime,' Eva said with a smile.

Ana exchanged an unreadable look with Griel.

'It is likely that he is in his Library,' Griel said in his deep, measured voice. 'But you must understand. It is a complex place, and we have access only to some parts of it. If he does not wish to be discovered, it will be impossible for us to access his location.'

'Perhaps you should go and see if he is within reach,' Eva suggested mildly.

Ana muttered something inaudible, and vanished.

'I don't suppose you have any tea, do you, Griel?' said Eva. Given the time-flow difference between this world and Krays's Library, they wouldn't have time to drink it before Ana returned, but no matter. At least she might get a sip or two.

'No,' Griel replied.

So much for that. She shifted in her chair, uncomfortable. Something was poking into her hip. Digging her fingers into her trouser pocket, she found a wadded-up piece of paper.

Unfolding it she read a single word printed in plain handwriting: "Orlind."

Her brows rose. Turning the paper over, she sought in vain for some explanation as to what was meant, or who had put the note into her pocket. The paper was blank besides that single word, and bore no clues as to the identity of the writer. What could it possibly mean?

Orlind was the name of the mysterious Seventh Realm, hidden behind impassable mountains and long cut off from the other six realms. Eva knew of theories aplenty of what might lie in that almost-forgotten place, all wildly improbable. No one could claim to possess any real evidence of what might be behind that mountain range.

Her own belief was that it was probably an inhospitable, inhabitable land, empty of all life and interest, and that was why nobody seemed to know anything about it. She hadn't felt any of the curiosity that gripped some people over its mysterious state.