Chapter 22

SURPRISE UPDATE. :D

Is it weird that I was really excited for this chapter? I think I'm weird. anywaaays. Read on!

***********************************************************************************************************

Chapter 22

Addie's POV

"Hey, did you wanna spend the night?" Liam asked me. "It's getting kinda late."

I rubbed the back of my head. "Umm, yeah, I guess. Is that all right with you?" I asked, craning my neck behind me to find Liam doing something in the hall. I think he was getting something from the hallway closet.

"Of course. I'll grab some blankets." He gave me a cute smile and ran up the stairs. I quickly sent a text to Ethan, telling him I would be at Liam's. I smiled as he sent me a text back, telling me not to do anything crazy. Sigh. Older cousins.

I yawned, my phone's clock displaying it was going on eleven o' clock. I blinked, a bit surprised that I'd been at Liam's for seven whole hours. It was worth it. I needed to spend time with my best friend anyway. My thoughts were interrupted when there was a knock on the door. Could that be Niall? I walked over slowly, shyly turning the knob to see who it was. There was Josh Devine, holding up an unsteady Niall.

"J-Josh Devine." I choked out. "Well, hello there."

"Umm, yeah." He gave me a small smile. Stupid Addie. I didn't mean to freak him out. "Your Niall's girlfriend, right? Adelaide is it?"

"Yeah, that's me."

"I've heard quite a lot about you." He smirked at me, making me blush. Niall let out a small groan, interrupting our small talk.

"I got him." I said, taking Niall's arm slowly. He stumbled over to me and I didn't know what to expect. I got him to stand up a little straighter, but he mostly shifted his weight all on one foot, leaning on me.

"Nice to finally meet you, Adelaide. I've gotta get going so maybe I'll see you around?"

"Yeah! Nice to meet you too, Josh! Thanks for dropping Niall off." He gave me a smile and a little wave, almost saying 'it was nothing'. He jogged out the rest of of the way to his car as I shut the door behind me. Niall was still on my shoulder, making it hurt at all the weight pressed against it. I sat him down on the couch and went to get him a water and some aspirin. I don't know how much he'd been drinking, but I could tell it was a lot.

After digging through Liam's cabinets in the kitchen, I finally found what I was looking for. I ran back over to Niall who was muttering something to himself. He was walking around the room, but mostly stayed in one place, rubbing his head.

"Niall, you're slurring your words." I warned him. "I told you to sit down. You have to stop drink-"

He groaned, then sputtered out some other words I couldn't hear. "Stop nagging me!"

Suddenly, I felt his hand swing at me and he brought it across my face. My cheek throbbed as I cried out in pain. I placed a hand on my cheek, afraid to feel the damage. No doubt it was red and had a mark on it. I just couldn't believe he hit me. I just looked up at him, horrified. I wanted to think it was because he was drunk, but there was so much anger in his face, even in his eyes, I just couldn't say that. My eyes watered as I held my cheek.

"N-Niall..." I croaked out. A tear spilled out of my eyes, rolling down my red cheek. The pain was unbearable. It stung on my face, but it hurt in my heart as well. "T-That's it. I'm done."

I couldn't believe what happened next. I spun on my heel, turning to leave, then I could run as far as I could, away from everything. Niall reached out to grab my arm, muttering a ton of curse words at me I didn't dare repeat. The echoed in my head, each word bringing my self esteem down even more. Instead of reaching my arm, he grabbed the chain of my mother's locket. I wished I didn't have the chain on so loose. If it was closer to my neck he wouldn't have been able to grab it once it flung behind me as I walked away from him.