Epilogue

HAVE THE TISSUES READY. 

**************************************

Epilogue :')

I sat on the patio with a thin blanket, watching my grand kids running around our front yard. They must've found something, because they chased after it and were crowded around a little spot. Our only son was out there too, and he stopped at the corner of the driveway.

"Mum? What's this?" He looked over at me with a small smirk. He was just like his father. Same blond hair though he had my eyes. I slowly got up and walked over to where my son was standing shakily. I was getting older. My hands were decorated with wrinkles. My blond curls were replaced with stringy gray hairs. My green eyes weren't as bright. They were dull. I was old. I knew it. Niall would've teased me about this.

I saw on the drive way, Niall and my name written in the concrete. My eyes widened and quickly watered. I crouched down and traced my fingers over his handwriting.

'Princess, c'mere!' He said as I put down another box in the house we just moved into with a huff.

'Niall, what is it? We have a lot of unpacking to do!'

'Come write your name!' Niall looked up at me with a big grin. Reluctantly, I ran over and saw him writing out his name in the wet concrete. I smiled and wrote my name too with a stick. We pushed our hands down and left our hand prints there. Niall stood up and grinned at our work. 'It'll be there forever now.' He gave me another cheeky grin and kissed my cheek.

I could've sworn I felt his touch. I felt him by me. His warm lips were touching my cheek, but when I opened my eyes, he wasn't there. He was gone. I placed my hand where his was and I felt nothing but stone cold. I wanted to feel his warmth and his touch, but I couldn't. He was gone. I wasn't ready to let go.

I knew he wouldn't want me crying, so I didn't. I just smiled at my son, told him the story behind it, and made my way into the house. With my shaky old hands I reached for the computer. I typed slowly, my fingers typing in 'twitter'. I hadn't been on this website in forever. No one used twitter anymore. It wasn't "cool" anymore as the kids say. I clicked on my old DMs and read all the ones from Niall.

I read them in his voice. I'd never felt so close to him. I could hear his laugh, making my old body feel young again. I watched the video diaries. I watched the videos of him just laughing. Anything that could fill the emptiness in my heart.

"You're still such a fangirl," I could almost hear him tease me. I laughed softly to myself and placed my hand on the screen. It was a picture of us together. Our ten year anniversary. I found myself smiling bitterly. I missed him. I wanted to see him again soon. Soon, soon, I kept saying. I could almost hear her calling my name, begging me to come join him. I missed him too much. My eyes watered as I shut the laptop, logging out of the account I'd used so much as a teen. I closed all memories of Niall and my internet romance. I never believed in love. I never thought someone would love and accept me for me. I never thought anyone would call me beautiful, when I knew I looked like a mess.

Only Niall could make me feel that way.

I went back outside, told my son I'd be in my room, and left him with his kids. I cried on the bed, feeling where Niall used to sleep.

I used to read about how old couples died of heartbreak when I was younger. I never believed it, until now. My heart was so heavy, I couldn't bear it any longer. It hurt more because he wouldn't want to see me sad, but the littlest things, like him not waking me up in the morning, made me cry. One day I woke up, and I wasn't in our bedroom anymore.

"Princess?" I heard someone say behind me.

"N-Niall?" I turned to see my husband. He looked younger. He was happy. His gorgeous eyes sparkled. He was moving, breathing, everything. I found myself running along the golden path and straight into his arms.