Chapter 9: Stop It

The next few weeks passed by with ease. Kel was more relaxed than he had been in months for multiple reasons.

The first being that his mother now paid regular trips to Olania's one and only physician as he was still trying to determine what was wrong with her and, from what Kel heard, professional curiosity stopped him from giving up. On top of that, he had stopped charging her for his services. While that was obviously not an act of charity, it was still a very good thing.

The second reason was that Ekran had followed through on his promise. After selling all of the valuables they stole, which Kel did not have time to see or count, giving over half of the profits to the Vescartem and rewarding the majority of what was left to himself, he gave everyone their equal shares. Which, considering how many people were involved (counting the turncoat mercenaries), was still a more than fair amount.

Kel and his mother had two Gheddons, fourteen Satres and ninety-four Ceps. Though after the physician's fees, buying new clothes for the both of them, their own axe, a new bow and some arrows, along with a few other small things, paper, ink, pens and the like, they only had one Gheddon, eleven Satres and twenty-three Ceps. Still a fortune to them, far more than anything they had ever had at any one time, even when Kel's father was around.

The third and final reason was Aayla. And Daelin and Tay he guessed as well. None were nearly as standoffish or meek as they were before the job, especially now that Kel had the willpower and desire to act friendly and generally happy.

So they came to the Trove most nights. They followed him around when he told stories and he sat and talked with them when he wasn't busy. Even Isen had sat with them a few times, though he and Kel didn't really say anything to each other directly.

In short: things were suddenly not so bleak and were looking much better than they had in a long time.

There was one thing that Kel was still dreading. A promise he made to Dorin, one he could no longer stave off with an excuse about his mother.

That is how he found himself with his mother standing in front of Aayla's door about to have dinner with her family.

Neither of them knocked, Kel simply focused on the different trains of thought rushing through his mind. Not to say anything stupid, don't accidently flirt with Aayla, compliment the food, compliment the farm, don't compliment too much because you don't want to seem like a brownnose.

His mother shook her head and knocked, obviously noticing that he wasn't going to.

His heart beat thunderously and sweat suddenly coated his hands and back.

The door opened and Dorin stood in the doorway. He shook both of their hands. Kel's mother smiled sweetly as her tiny hand was lost in his giant paw. The greeting was terse but warmer than Kel expected. Dorin then invited them in.

Taia was sitting cross legged on the floor scribbling something on a piece of paper with a stick of charcoal. Aayla was setting down cutlery and napkins on the table, her and Kel's eyes met. His heart did not calm.

"Hang up your cloak, relax," said Dorin as he walked to the far end of the room where an oven and fireplace sat.

Kel did as he was told, taking off his wonderful black cloak and hanging it on a peg beside the door.

Essa and Aayla sat down and immediately started speaking in hushed tones, Kel didn't fail to see the sudden rosiness on Aayla's face. He found it odd, since when did they have anything to talk about between the two of them?

Dorin put one of his meaty paws into an oven mitt and pulled out a tray with an amazing-smelling roast pork on it. Kel's mouth watered both at the smell and the look of it.