Chapter 21

Chapter 21

A week goes by and a name still isn't drawn from the hat, in fact, not one Dead Boy meeting has taken place since I found out about Mitchell's story.

I've seen them at school, and I run with Azul during gym and during track practice but other than that contact has been limited. I haven't even spoken to Aaron- not even one text. I've seen him at school, and we'd smile and wave but that's all. I usually sit with Mia and Hayden at lunch, so I don't see them then either.

Now, I know I could simply go to the treehouse and would stumble across at least one Dead Boy, but I haven't gotten the courage to go. Maybe it's because I get a sour taste in my mouth every time I think about Mitch's loved ones without closure or maybe its because I get stomach pains every time I think about the many, many kisses shared between Aaron and me.

For whatever reason is keeping me away from the treehouse and the occupants is good enough.

"Hey, why are you staring at the wall?" Mia asks, bouncing up to me. I'm snapped back to reality of to where I actually am, at school and in front of my locker. I stare down at her, frowning. Why do I have the right to know what happened to her brother and she doesn't? I gulp down the guilt rising up my throat and force a smile.

"I zoned out, I guess." I say, scratching my head, mildly confused.

"Won't you be late for track, silly goose?"

"Yeah probably," I laugh and grab my gym bag from my locker.

"You okay? You look shaken up." She places her hand on my arm and looks up at me with questionable eyes. Damn, I can't even look her in the eyes right now.

"Yeah, I'm good. Just normal Bellamy stuff, you know how it is." I force out a fake laugh and it's her turn to force a smile. She knows something is going on, but the angel doesn't push it. If she only knew.

"Okay, let me know if you need anything. Good luck at track!" and then she walks away.

I close my locker with a sigh and walk towards the change rooms.

***

After I bet Azul once again, he follows me back to my locker.

"Why don't you come over?" He asks, following me. I know he's talking about the treehouse and not his actual house.

"Yeah maybe," I say as I open my locker.

"You're mad," He states. "Mad about what we told you."

"I don't know what I am right now, Azul." I sigh.

"You have the right man. None of us are happy about it."

"So, if no one is happy about it, then why does no one do anything about it?" I question the logic.

"We made a vow, Bell."

"People make vows all the time and break them! Have you ever heard of divorce?" Despite the serious conversation, Azul chuckles and shakes his head.

"If you disrespect vows then what's the point of the Dead Boys? What's the point if a group built upon vows if they're broken?" He pushes.

"Yes, and the United States was built off of slavery and the second amendment, yet here we are abolishing one and pushing the next. Sometimes certain rules are made to fit certain time periods, but the period has changed and maybe talking about this could more good than harm." I explain and his lips tighten into a thing line. He's lost for words and for excuses because he knows he's right.

"I don't know what to say," he admittedly sighs.

"I know you don't, that's the problem." I slam my locker shut and walk away, done with the conversation.