Between the Shelves

I've got a busy weekend ahead, so this will probably be the last update until Monday.

Hope you all enjoy!!!

❖     ❖     ❖

The library at the estate was quite possibly the most glorious thing she had ever seen.

Tall bookcases seemed to disappear into the high ceiling, stretching along the massive room.

It was nearly as large as the library at the university.

Thousands of colorful book spines waiting for her to explore.

Enid had loved books before she even learned how to read.

Everywhere she went, there was a collection of books tucked under her arm.

Over the years, they grew larger and heavier until her father bought her a wagon to carry them around in.

As she spun to look at the seemingly endless shelves, her fingers twitched with excitement.

"This is my favorite place in the entire estate." Dante said from behind her, his shoulder leaning against one of the dark wooden bookcases.

"It's magnificent." Her voice breathless in awe.

His smile was warm as he took in her elated expression.

"I'll leave you be to explore. Dinner is at seven." He ghosted his lips across hers before walking away.

His fingers phantom on her spine as he stepped away.

Enid wandered the rows for a few moments, overwhelmed and overjoyed by the number of texts awaiting her.

The room seemed to ooze comfort, a fireplace crackling in the sitting area on one end.

She quickly discovered the books were sorted alphabetically by subject and made her way to the subjects that had been bouncing around her mind.

An entire row of shelves greeted her.

Books on submission, dominance, BDSM, sadism.

Enid wasn't sure where to begin.

She pulled a few of the shorter texts off the shelf, hoping they would provide some more general information for her to start with.

Settling into one of the massive armchairs, she cracked open the first book.

For hours she read, periodically getting up to retrieve other books to dive into.

She often had to use the ladder to reach the books on the higher shelves.

Her notebook was open beside her, filled with scribbled notes on things she found interesting or wanted to ask about.

By dinner time, she had filled nearly twenty pages.

Dante laughed as he came to retrieve her, finding her lying on her stomach by the fireplace.

Her feet in the air and a pen gripped between her teeth as she read a book on fetishes.

Her curls had been thrown into a haphazard bun after they had fallen into her eyes one too many times.

"How is it going, little bird?" He asked as he squatted down beside her and looked through the pile of books she had accumulated.

Ever the eager student, she sat up with a sweet grin.

"I'm learning so much! And I have so many questions." She exclaimed, her hand reaching for her notebook.

"Well, we'd be happy to answer them for you over dinner. I'm sure you've worked up quite the appetite with all of this voracious research." Dante winked at her as he helped her up from her spot on the luxurious rug.