Chapter 2

“Damn, I’m exhausted.” Ross mumbled as we walked into our apartment. I rolled my eyes, following him inside.

We had stayed over at Rydel and Ellington’s all day, and it was close to ten at night, now. We had a nice lunch and dinner there, and we just hung out. We didn’t get to do that often because everyone was busy. Ross and I were going to school, plus working part time jobs, while the rest of his siblings were working as well. Rocky and Ryland were actually going to school as well, but they weren’t going to the same college as us.

After I had the talk with Rydel back at her house, she couldn’t stop glancing at me all night. Sympathy was pretty much etched on her face, and I knew why. I was basically going to be a single mother to an unplanned baby. A baby I wasn’t even sure I was going to keep.

No, I wasn’t planning on killing it. I was thinking about adoption. Adoption seemed like the best option. I was a twenty year old who was going to school and only had a part time job. How in the world would I be able to support this baby?

“Alright, I’m going to bed.” Ross announced, yawning. “We have class in the morning, and I need a good ten hours if I want to sit through Professor Bilk’s class.”

“He’s not that bad.” I defended. “He just talks. A lot.”

“And his talking puts me to sleep.” He deadpanned. He let another yawn escape. “Alright, night.” He went to walk towards his room, but the conversation I had with Rydel popped into my head, causing me to grab his wrist.

“What’s up?” He asked.

My mouth opened, but no words came out. It was like I couldn’t tell him. “Uh, nothing.” I stammered. “Just, sleep well.”

He smiled, but I could see a hint of worry in his eyes. “Night, Sky.”

Before heading to bed, I took a nice, long shower. The hot water hit my skin, giving me a pleasuring feeling. I didn’t understand how some people could take cold shower. They weren’t normal.

Once I stepped out of the shower and dried off, I changed into my pajamas and quickly brushed my teeth. Then for some reason, I just stared at myself in the mirror. I didn’t even see myself anymore. I saw a girl who would be seen as a disappointment to her parents.

“I hope you guys don’t hate me.” I whispered, tears filling my eyes. “I miss you.” I took in a shaky breath and exited the bathroom, making my way towards my room. I immediately crawled into bed and fell asleep. Today was just exhausting.

~*~

“Ross, hurry up!” I yelled at my best friend who was walking behind me while I was running. Class had already started, and we had just gotten to the floor the class was on.

“He won’t care that we’re late.” Ross said. I slowed down, letting Ross catch up to me. “Relax, Sky.” Approaching the classroom, I opened the door and walked in. I was shocked to see that our professor wasn’t even in the room. “Looks like you didn’t have to run.” Ross chuckled.

“Shut up.” I mumbled, taking a seat in the back of the room. Ross took the one next to me. All the students in the room were just chatting amongst themselves. The only person I actually talked to in this class was Ross.

“Hey, Sky.” Conner, the boy in front of me turned around in his seat and smiled.

“Uh, hi.” I greeted awkwardly. Conner and I had never talked before, so why was he talking to me now?”

“So I heard about you and Ben, and I wanted to know if you wanted to go out to dinner with me this Friday?”

My heart started beating furiously, and my mouth went dry. How did he find out?