Chapter 5

I stared at Rydel in shock, my eyes as wide as saucers. If I had been drinking at that moment, any lemonade that would be in my mouth would be all over her.

“What did you just say?” I finally blurted out.

“Ross is in love with you.” She repeated.

I blinked, then started laughing. Rydel looked at me like I was insane, but I didn’t care. “Good one, Del. That was a good one.”

“Not joking, Sky.” She said, a serious expression on her face.

I stopped laughing. “What?”

“Ross is in love with you. This isn’t some joke.”

I was frozen. I didn’t know what to say. How would you react if you were just told that your best friend was in love with you? But Ross never acted like he was in love with me. We had been living together for two years, and he never showed any signs that he loved me more than a best friend.

“You’re not joking?” I whispered. Rydel shook her head. “He actually loves me?” She nodded. “How long?” I couldn’t help but ask this question.

“Since you guys were sixteen.” She admitted.

Again, I froze. “He’s been in love with me for four years?” Rydel nodded once again. “I-wha-bu-“ I couldn’t even talk right.

“Sky, relax.” Rydel placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. “Obviously you’re in shock.”

“Ya think?” I asked sarcastically. I groaned and placed my head in my hands. “I can’t believe this. How did I not see this?”

“You didn’t see it because he didn’t want you to see it.” She said. “He was so afraid that you were going to reject him, that he just kept it a secret from you.”

“So everyone else knows?”

“Yeah.” She nodded.

I lifted my head out of my hands and just stared at the glass of lemonade. I didn’t know what to say in this moment. Ross was in love with me, but he didn’t want me knowing. But if he loved me so much, why did seem happy when I was dating Ben?

Curious, I asked that question, but Rydel didn’t seem fazed by it. “He knew how much you liked Ben, and he didn’t want to ruin your happiness. He said that as long as you were happy, he was happy.”

Tears pricked my eyes, but I wouldn’t let them fall. “Sky, why does it look like you’re going to cry?” Rydel softly asked.

I shrugged and let a tear escape. “I don’t even know.”

“Well, can I ask you a question?” I nodded, exhaling. “Do you make like Ross? Because the way you were talking about him before, it sounds like it.”

I opened my mouth to immediately say no, but I couldn’t. I thought back to the doctor’s office and the way Ross held my hands. I honestly loved the feeling of my small hands being encaged by his large ones. And his protectiveness towards me and the baby made me smile. Ever since he found out I was pregnant, he always made sure I was safe when going out.

Oh, my god.

“I like Ross.” I breathed out, my eyes wide.

Rydel’s eyes widened as well. “Say that again.”

“I like Ross.” I couldn’t help the smile that appeared on my face. Rydel matched it with her own. “Holy crap, I like my best friend.” I was suddenly nervous and freaked.

“Why does it look like you’re gonna puke?” She questioned. “And please don’t.”

I rolled my eyes at her plea. “I’m freaking out, Del. I cannot like my best friend.”