i. the list

"not fucking happening," adalyn foster declared for at least the fourth time that night.

she and her roommates, rosa andrada and parker ellis, were sat in their living room of the small apartment they shared. all three girls were in their third year of university and had been sharing an apartment since their first year.

since the girls had lived together for so long, they had incorporated few traditions into their lives. of course, there were family holidays, like thanksgiving and christmas dinners, that they had every year.  they had weekly viewing parties for the bachelor or bachelorette, which usually included getting a little wine drunk. sunday nights were always for homework and movies, but mostly movies.

and then there was the list.

it was about the third month into their first year of school, and all three girls were a little intoxicated. somehow, the conversation had shifted from something unimportant to their lists. at this time, ady didn't know rosa and parker well, but that didn't stop the two from sharing the details of every guy they had hooked up with.

"ady?" parker had asked expectantly after sharing her list of about fifteen. "what about your list?"

ady remembered shrugging, suddenly feeling very small in comparison to her two roommates. "i don't know really. it's small."

rosa had smiled at her response. not in a condescending way, but in a way that made ady feel alright to share the details of her life with people she had only known for three months.

and that was what started the list.

it was ady's idea, and at the time she had proposed the thought, it seemed like a really great idea. of course, they were slightly drunk which only gave it fuel. the list had gone through many trial and error forms in its early stages, but now, in its third year running, it was perfected.

a gigantic spreadsheet with three columns was plastered across an empty wall in the shared living room. it had three columns for ady, rosa, and parker. underneath said columns were boxes, some full, some empty. the girls kept track of names and even dates, so long as they could remember them. and to top it off, the title in large black letters - the fuck it list.

it was all in good fun, though. the girls didn't use the list to slut-shame each other, mostly they used it to gossip about hookups - especially the drunk ones. but the list was now entering its third year, and it was starting to get old.

adalyn had decided earlier in the week that she was done with the list. her roommates could continue it if they wanted too and even keep up ady's column, but she wouldn't be adding any more names to it.

"i don't understand what the big deal is," ady huffed, playing with a loose string of the blanket across her lap. "it's just a list,"

parker looked as though ady had just committed a crime. "it's not just a list! it's a tradition! and what are we without our traditions? just a bunch of girls who rent an apartment together,"

rosa laughed at parker's poor argument. "we'll still be just a bunch of girls who rent an apartment together even with the list, park."

parker rolled her eyes, "you know what i mean,"

"it's not that i have anything against the list, park. i actually think it's kinda badass. i just don't think that it's something a future teacher should be partaking in, y'know?"

parker and rosa exchanged a look, then shrugged. "yeah, you got me there" rosa admitted.

ady laughed, "so dramatic for nothing, damn."

parker wiped a fake tear from her cheek before saying, "it really is the end of an era."

"the fuck it list shall live on in our hearts, but also our living room wall." ady declared.

it was silent for a while, as the girls looked over their masterpiece of a list. eventually, ady broke the silence. "but you can still keep my name up there. just in case."

parker clasped her hands together in happiness, "oh, happy fucking day!"

ITSPARKER TWEETED !
may the list live on for years to come
|
@adyfoster in our hearts, and on our wall. 💜
|
@_rosaandrada y'all out here bein extra asf

THOUGHTS

i already live for this fic 🥺