Chapter Two

Peony sat on a stone bench, waiting for the next train to come. The old stone walls around her were covered in centuries worth of graffiti. Again she pulled out the port, trying to find the articles about the Lunar War.

A boy about her age, maybe a little older, sat down next to her. He had sandy blonde hair, blue eyes, and tanned skin. He was probably around 5'10", wearing a black leather jacket, light jeans, grey tennis shoes, and a red t-shirt.

"Hi." He smiled charmingly at Peony.

She looked up from her device at the boy and rolled her eyes. Then cast her glance back on the article. But she wasn't actually reading it now that he had interrupted her; she was just pretending to. He said nothing for a moment but looked at her again, as if noticing that she wasn't actually reading.

"I'm Sage, and you are...?" He urged.

Peony set the port on her lap and looked at him. "I have no idea how long you've lived in Milwaukee, but let me just say that you shouldn't go introducing yourself to strangers, it's not as nice here as it as it was during the second era."

"Wow you're feisty aren't you? And how would you know what it was like during the second era?"

"I've done my research."

Just then her train arrived. Ignoring the boy, she stood up and stepped onto the platform. Quickly she hurried to the back of the train. The alarms went off that signalled the doors were closing. The train started moving.

Peony let out a breath she didn't know she had sucked in. But her relief was short-lived when she saw the boy looking at her from a few feet away. She turned away from him, hoping that the stalker would leave her alone. Who knew what he wanted from her...even the thought forced a shiver down her spine.

Three stops came and went, the boy still there. Finally her stop came. The metal doors opened, she walked out along with a few other people.

She walked up the stairs and back up to the streets. Tall skyscrapers towered over her; some were apartment buildings, others were the homes of businesses.

Peony started to get this odd feeling that someone was watching her, so instead of turning it left--to get to her building--She turned right into an alley. She quickly crouched behind a dumpster and waited for someone suspicious to walk by.

The boy from earlier stepped into the alley.

"Stars..." She muttered under her breath. She was scared but needed to know who this person was. Why was this guy following her?

She looked down and saw a wrench hidden beneath the dumpster. She grabbed the tool and held it up defensively, standing up from her hiding spot, "Why are you following me?" She demanded boldly, despite feeling like her insides were melting.

He raised his arms up in surrender. "I wasn't," He lied

"Bullshit. Who are you and what the hell do you want from me?" Her voice shook with every word, but he seemed to believe she wouldn't hesitate to hurt him. She took a few steps closer, only six feet between them now.

"You really are full of fire." He commented. "As I said before, my name is Thorne, Sage Thorne."

He did a fake bow which amused Peony but she didn't show it. All she did was huff in annoyance, still gripping the wrench like a baseball bat.

"And I'm following you because you looked like someone I knew."

"So you admit to following me?"

Sage rolled his eyes, "Yes."

Peony thought back to when he sat next to her at the subway station--he had asked for her name. "If you thought you knew me, why'd you ask for my name?" His face fell. She smirked, "now if you'll excuse me I'll be going...and you won't be following. Understand?"

"Yes," He sighed in defeat.

She sidestepped around Sage and dropped the wrench as soon as she was to the sidewalk. She got one last glance at the blue-eyed stranger before turning around and never seeing him again. Hopefully.

Accomplishment flooded trough her as she crossed the busy street to her to Yankee Hill Apartments where she lived. She scanned her ID chip under the scanner. It buzzed and she walked into the tall glass doors.

"Evening, Peony." Thomas, the grey-haired concierge, greeted her from behind his tall silver desk.

"Hello Thomas." She smiled. "Is Iko back yet?"

"Back?" He was confused. "I don't believe she ever left."

Well that was certainly strange. Why would Iko lie to her? "Oh, okay then. Bye Tom."

"Bye, dear. Have a good night."

"Thanks, you too."

Peony walked away from the desk and into the sterile elevator. She pressed the button for the twenty-ninth floor. It took only about fourty-five seconds for the doors to open again, and she stepped out. When she reached her door at the end of the hallway, she rolled up her sleeve and scanned her wrist. She opened the door and walked down the narrow hallway that lead to the living room.

But as Peony passed the door to Iko's room she heard voices. Curiosity got the best of her. She leaned her ear against the door.

"Iko, she can't know. Not yet." A man's voice said, seemingly distressed.

"He's right. She's still out there." A woman agreed.

"But she's so lonely. She's getting more desperate by the second. I can't continue lying to her about you!"

"We know, Iko, But it's not safe." The man said. "We love her more than anything, and we need you to keep her hidden."

"But--"

"I can't take this anymore." The woman shouted suddenly. "Kai we need to see her. It's been fifteen years...that's far too long. Iko, bring her to the palace on her birthday. I want her here whether we've found that woman or not. She needs to know."

Peony heard two gasps, then the man spoke again. "Cinder, do you really think that's a good idea?"

"Yes. She's going to hate us for leaving her, but she has to know the truth. I remember needing answers about my family. When I got them I was angry and happy at the same time. Angry about what happened. Happy that I finally knew. She'll probably feel the same way."

"All right." The man concurred. "Iko, bring her here on her birthday. Not a day late."

"Of course, Emperor Kaito." Peony could hear the smile her aunt's tone. "Do I tell her? Or will you?"

The woman responded. "No, we want to tell her in person."

"Very well, I'll be bothering you again soon."

"Bye Iko." The woman said. "Keep her safe."

"You know I will. Oh! And happy birthday, Kai."

"Thanks, Iko. We'll see you soon."