Chapter Six

Peony went to bed early, setting her alarm alarm for 23:30. Hopefully that would give her enough time to get to the art museum later that night.

When she woke up she pulled on her skinny jeans and royal blue sweatshirt, then her brown leather boots. She slipped the portscreen into her pocket and crawled out onto the fire escape.

As quickly as she could, Peony went towards the ground. Fifteen minutes passed and she finally reached the bottom.

She walked out from the shadows of the alley and onto the streetlit sidewalk. She headed east to the museum. Once in a while young women dressed in provocative outfits passed her. But they never gave her a second glance.

She kept on walking until she saw a beat up building that had once been a beautiful white but was now yellowed with age.

This was it.

Did she really want to do this? For all she knew Sage was a psychopathic killer. Was it worth knowing about her family at the risk of being killed? She could always go ask Iko, demand to know the truth...but she had already done that.

This was all she had left. This is where she would get her answers.

Peony stepped closer but paused again.

This was her last chance to turn around.

No. I need to know.

She opened the cracked glass door and walked inside. The walls had cracks running up and down them. There was rubble and gravel all over the ground. Everything seemed very unstable--as if it would collapse at any second.

"Sage," Peony called, "I'm here!"

"I'm coming," She heard him say. A few moments went by. She could barely make out his dirty blonde hair as Sage walked out from a dark hallway. Everything was dark but it was darker. "I honestly didn't think you would show." He grinned, "It was my charm wasn't it?"

She scoffed, "No!" Though she did think he was somewhat cute, she wouldn't say it--she didn't want him to get too cocky. "I just want answers."

"Right."

"And I want them now."

"Have you always been this way?"

"I suppose so." She acknowledged. "But that's not the point. I need to know everything, right now."

"Let's go for a walk." He suggested.

"Wha--you told me to meet you here and now we're going for a walk?" She argued.

"Do you want to stay in the creepy building?" She looked around the dark room. Deciding he was right, she shook her head. "That's what I thought. Come on." He walked over to her and entwined his fingers with hers. He lead her back out through the cracked glass door.

They began walking west.

"Where are we going?" Peony asked.

"To a park."

"Why?"

Sage sighed, "Can you please trust me?"

She let go of his hand and stopped walking. "Given that you haven't told me anything you claim to know about my parents, and that you're scaring me, no. No, I can't trust you."

His eyes saddened and he looked down. "I'm scaring you?"

"Quite frankly, a little bit, yes."

"I'm sorry. It will all make sense soon, though. I promise." His pleading eyes made her want to trust him. She also thought she sensed that he was hurt that she was afraid of him.

He held out his hand to her. Something inside her told her to take it and follow him...so she did.

They walked to the park that was right across from her apartment building. It worried her, knowing that they were so close to her home. Maybe he even knew where she lived and that's why he came to this specific place.

He took her to a nearby bench and they sat down.

"Do you want the long version or the short version?"

Peony contemplated. She wanted to get the most possible information, "long, I guess."

"Let me first tell you that it's going to sound like I'm giving you a history lesson. But everything I'm going to tell you involves your parents. Okay?"

"Okay. Just get on with it."

"Well, you know about the Lunar War; How Princess Selene and Emperor Kaito put Queen Levana in prison."

"Yeah. She escaped and then threatened to kill their daughter...Peony."

"Do you see where I'm going with this?"

She knew exactly what he he was saying. "You're insane if you really think I'm going to believe you."

Sage rolled his eyes and she couldn't help glaring at him. "I knew you wouldn't believe me, but you could at least hear me out."

"You're insane."

"Good thing, because if I wasn't this probably wouldn't work."

"Huh?" He took her hand and lead her away from the bench. "Where are we going now?" He refused to answer her as they walked down a worn dirt path in the park. "Sage!" She ripped her hand away, "If you want me to even consider believeing a word that comes from your mouth, you need to start giving me answers!"

"You want answers?"

"Yes. And you said you had them!"

 "I do, but you're not going to like what it takes to get them."

"Stop fooling around already!" She was beyond irritated at this point. He was withholding information from her that she has been dreaming about since she could remember--literally.

"Peony, I'm really sorry for this."

"Wha--?" But she was cut off when Sage pushed a pressure point on her neck. She fell asleep immediately.

_________________________________________________

Hello Lunartics!

This chapter was originally going to be longer and more detailed, but I know that I haven't updated in a while so i said "screw it" and updated! Who's read Fairest?! I did! Loved it!!!!!!! Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I love you all so very much :D Sorry that this chapter sucks...a lot. I'm working on updating StLR so, ya know.

Keep reading,
PrincessSelene04