Chapter Five

The sun was setting, golden light filtering through the windows of Kai's office. The small clock on his desk read 18:51.

"I don't know if I can wait much longer, Kai."

Cinder was pacing, the train of her deep blue silk dress trailing behind her. It was almost funny--after relatively two decades of wearing fancy clothes she still wasn't used to the feel of them on her skin.

She felt terrible about the decision they made nearly sixteen years ago. It had been slowly eating at her the entire time. She never wanted to send her daughter away, even if she was safer that way.

Kai stood up from behind his desk. He walked over to Cinder, forcing her to stop by wrapping his arms around her and embracing her.

"I know, neither can I. But it's only a couple more weeks. Then she'll be home...for good. And we'll be able to stop worrying."

She buried her face closer to the  shoulder of his silken black shirt. "What happens if she hates us, if she can't forgive us?" Cinder's head was throbbing. She should be crying right now, but she couldn't; it was impossible.

Kai started stroking her long brown hair. Though the motion comforted her, she still didn't feel completely relieved.

"Don't think like that, Cinder. It's only going to hurt you more." He said quietly.

She pulled her head away from his shoulder, staring into his copper-brown eyes. "How can I not?"

"We were young. We did what was best for her and that's all that matters. She's safe and happy. Iko has raised her pretty well from what we know."

"That's just it. We don't know who she is or what she's had to deal with. We were never really her parents. Iko is more her mother than I am, and that's what hurts so much about this. We know nothing about her, Kai!"

Kai pulled her against him again. Cinder could feel the hurt emanating off of him. His bioelectricty showed his sadness and pain. She hugged him tightly, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," He choked.

She looked back up at him--a single tear slid down his cheek. "I'm so sorry," she apologized again, wiping the tear away with her thumb. It was times like this that she wished she could cry like he did.

"It's not you," He looked down and took both her hands in his. "It's that you're right. We have no idea who she is because we've never been there for her like parents should."

"Konn Torin would like permission to enter, Your Majesties." Nainsi interrupted. It was still the same personality chip, just a different body.

Kai looked over to the sliding door, "Permission granted."

Torin entered the room only a moment later. He saw how Kai and Cinder had their arms wrapped around each other, and their expressions were solemn. "Sorry to interrupt but we were unable to reach you."

"What is it?" Cinder questioned eagerly.

"Well, Carswell and Crescent Thorne are here and they wish to speak with you right away."

"What are they doing here?" Kai asked. Cress and Thorne lived in New York, why would they be in New Beijing?

"They didn't say, but they did mention that it was important."

Cinder didn't hesitate for even a second, "Send them in." Torin bowed and left the room. "When is he going to retire?" She wondered.

"This July. I already sighed the documents." Kai said with a slight smile.