Chapter Four

Just an FYI so you don't get confused...I changed Keegan's name to Sage.

A baby lay in a cradle, watching the man and woman who were smiling down at her. The woman picked the baby up, holding her close to her chest. They both looked exhausted. Strands of the man's hair were sticking up in every direction, and the woman had slight bags under her eyes.

"What do we name her?" The man whispered as he hugged the woman from behind.

"What do you want to name her?"

He stroked the baby's head, it was already full of jet black hair. "Something that means something to you. Maybe a family name?"

The woman scoffed, "I don't really like Channary for the name of my daughter, even if she was my family."

"I was thinking along the lines of Peony." He rolled his eyes, "Though naming her after your mother would be nice, too...I mean, she was the kindest person in the galaxy." He exaggerated.

She chuckled, "How did I ever fall in love with you?"

He kissed her cheek, "I was wondering the same."

The couple stood there for the longest time, looking at their daughter. Admiring the beautiful thing that had come from the two of them.

"You really want to name her Peony?" The woman whispered. The man nodded. She looked back down at the almost asleep baby in her arms. "Hello Peony, I'm your mom. I don't have any idea what it's like to be one--mine died when I was two--but I promise I'll try to do my best. No matter what happens, though, I want you to know that I will always love you."

Peony opened her eyes; it was still dark out. She searched around under the comforter for her portscreen. She must have fallen asleep reading. Finding it, she checked the time 02:39. She groaned, setting the port on the white night table, she rolled over and fell back to sleep.

° ° ° ° °

Peony's day was going the same as it always had. It was her lunch hour and she sat alone at one of the tables, reading yet another article on Princess Selene. She was fascinated by even the mere thought of the life the now empress had.

She took a small bites of her cheeseburger here and there, too invested in the article to care about the food on her tray.

Peony was pushed put of her seat as someone tripped, and spilled their food all over her. She grunted as her hip hit the floor. Looking over, she saw the guy from yesterday on the ground next to her.

Sage got to his feet and held his hand out to her, "sorry about that."

She was baffled, had no idea what to say. Peony didn't take his hand, but instead stood up on her own. "What the hell are you doing here?" She demanded.

"I go to school here." He shrugged, "Just transferred from NYC. Before that, New Beijing."

Why would he tell her he was from New Beijing? She didn't care. "I don't need to know your life story. I just need to know why you're following me."

Sage moved closer to Peony, making her instantly warmer, and whispered in her ear, "If I told you you'd think I was insane."

She was terrified. He kept admitting to her that he was following her. Why would he do that, unless he wanted her to know it. She pulled away from him, and glared into his pale blue eyes, "Leave me alone."

He only smiled at her, "Impossible."

"Why?"

"You'll think I'm crazy."

"Not anymore than I already do. So tell me the truth!" She shouted.

He cocked his head to the side, "You really don't like me do you?"

She gaped at Sage, "No, as a matter of fact, I don't. But I've never really liked people that follow me everywhere I go. Now answer me." This guy was really irritating her. He was arrogant, which made her even more angry. She hated arrogant people.

"Okay. I will," he gave up. "But not here. If you want answers about your parents, meet me at the abandoned Milwaukee Art Museum tonight at midnight."

"Wait, you knew my parents?"

"I'll answer all your questions tonight."

He walked away leaving her to her confusing thoughts about Sage Thorne and how he could possibly know her parents. The bell rang signaling lunch was over. She walked to her advanced Algebra classroom and sat in her seat. She couldn't concentrate for the rest of the day, too focused on her meeting with Sage later that night.