Do you hear the bullets sing?

• Dedicated to Sci and Rave xx

-Vin

Waiting came as a necessity rather than an option as a time such as this. It wasn't an choice, a privilege taken by those who would rather pay the fine than go directly to jail and avoiding 'Go,' or those that would prefer to take the car rather than waiting for a bus. The call would come, at the drill of a telephone, whether it would be good or bad I was yet to know. The call would determine whether I took a train to Calais in the morning or whether I would stay, remaining with everyone that I loved or leaving it behind on the tracks. If her case was passed we would be free, if not we were strangers to this world.
The room had been freshly furnished that Spring, new sofas installed and a double glazing put in. It was warmer than it had been before, more comfortable and better treated as home rather than a place of reside. He hadn't needed comfort before because he hadn't felt any like it. After that it had all changed. He had found love. Although despite this I still felt the eery sense that it had all been put on, a show to inform me how he had changed and what he would be willing to do. I didn't believe it other than an act of sympathy for all that had recently happened and all that he had put me through.
The phone passed quickly to my fingers instantly upon the dial.
"Hello? What's happened?" I suddenly realised how hoarse my voice had become as it bounced back off the receiver.
He made a sound to hush my raising voice and I could hear him walking, pacing.
"I'm not allowed in."
My nerves fluttered in anger, "WHAT??!! BUT YOU'RE A WITNESS THEY HAVE TO LET YOU IN! Skulduggery, you're her only hope please make them somehow..."
"I'm sorry, I've tried. She's just gone in."
There was a substantial pause which was filled with a muffled screech of a pulled up chair from the other side of the phone and a deep sigh. I bit down hard on my lip and watched the rain softly patter across the window as the wind swept the south side of the house, masking the windows with damp and discarded leaves from the deadened Autumn. My heart was heavy and doubtful.
"Tell me when you get any more news okay?" I felt a sharp pang at the bridge of my nose and tears wet the bridges of my lashes.
"Okay."
I bit my lip and took a breath, "Love you."
"I love you too." His soft voice hummed until the last letter over the receiver, soft and calm.
I bowed my head and moved to put the phone back,
"And Vin..."
"Yeah?"
"Happy Birthday."
I did not savour that moment to it's full extent, for little did I know that would be the last time I would hear is voice for a very long time. Little did I know of what laid ahead in my path. Little did I know there would be more than one path to take.
The phone went dead.

****

The streets were wet and sodden with newly fallen rain, the clouds thickened with moisture and ready for future downfall. The partners paced down the street, watching themselves in the shop windows and in the puddles that lay at their feet. There was rumour and where rumour laid whispers spread, whispers exciting the minds of the dark and twisted, ready to play. Her boots were high and cut at the knee, water flecking up the leather but not penetrating through to her tanned complexion. The man's heavy stance brought much upon the puddles, water breaking past him as the two walked with purpose towards the humming pub on the curb of the street. Unlike some, they had a blatant purpose.
To kill.
For Trissiana and her partner, Schwartz this came as no shock. The two were notorious for their killing in the war and the anger that they bore on their shoulders.
They were different. Threateningly original in their ways, sharp and tactile with sense and looks to match it. Trissiana tucked a loose strand of violet hair from her eyes and the two stood outside the humming pub, glowing embers of jovial voice radiating from the inside.
She flicked her silver tinted eyes back to her partner, giving a malicious smile before she widened the door and the embers of mirthful laughter flickered out.

****
-Erskine

Anger rose like a burning flame in my chest. It was anger; not fright, not fear of what I would become but pure choleric and irascible rage that tore at me from within. All I wanted was for her to be free and they had penned her for something that she was the victim of. My joints had now ceased from aching, my hands shackled and bound tightly behind my body and adorned with thin lashes of blood. They had squared me off aside from the rest of the jury in a box to the side. The place that was once mine, when I was a free man and ruler of this country was now taken by a woman with a veil. I was already a condemned man, whether my daughter would be safe would rely on the trust I hd set towards the judge.
I caught Bespoke's eye as he sat beside the Grand Mage, his glance flicking to mine with one of pity and confusion and then to his paper as if I were a tyrant and poisonous to gaze upon.
I heard the heels first, caught them like lion to prey and saw her walk in. Her dark hair was tied up in a bun with a smart dress cut at the knee and tall, sharp black heels. Bliv.
She turned her head once she reached her box and looked to me, scared but determined. I blinked and gave her a brief nod before the hammer was slammed upon the table and our heads flicked towards the judge in unison.
The judge would weigh up both of our fates.
The innocent girl and the guilty man.

****
-Trissiana

My heels clicked upon the stone floor, an eery sense of presence as we entered the pub. All fell silent and a small smile crept across my face. It was one to be notorious, another to be feared. I could feel Schwartz at my back, the soft ripping of skin from behind signifying his readiness. I stopped before the bar drumming my fingers on the wood and stopping slightly, my head bowed and a malicious smile pressed to my features. I caught Schwartz in the corner of my vision, his claws long and gnarled tipped with poison. Venom.
A man uneasily came to the front, setting a cloth on the side and rubbing his neck.
"What um.. What can I get you two?"
I smiled softly and looked up at him, feeling an ensemble of eyes on the back of my head.
"Oh we're not here for your alcohol, sir." His face paled and he shivered, stepping back a little.
"N-no... Please Miss Devonair... I hav..."
"Tush now. All we want is some directions and we'll be gone. Isn't that right Schwartz?"
I turned and he gave a brief nod before I continued, "And then we'll be gone..."
He swallowed harshly and looked about the pub, leaning in. "What do you want?"
I pursed my lips and smiled, putting my hand up and whispering in his ear.
His expression paled a chalky white and he stepped back, arms in front into the stack of bottles behind causing some to fall onto the floor and shatter with much commotion. "He's not here.. He's not here.."
I chuckled and felt Schwartz at my side, my pupils dilating and burning with energy.
"Oh, we know."

****
-Sanguine

The woman stopped, her long dark hair licking her face before she pulled it back to her neck in a swirl. Her jacket was long and kept her warm as she stood on the wet street, watching the fire.
"Quite pretty isn't it?" She spoke, not turning her eyes on the fire.
"Hm..." I replied, pacing to where she stood and watching as two figures emerged from the smoke.
She started to hum and walked towards the two, her heels clicking softly along the cobbles. The girl ahead stopped and took her gun to her hand once more, aiming at the woman's head.
The woman smiled, turning to me and beckoning me forward. I took a few steps and nodded to the familiar partnership.
Trissiana tilted her head and smiled, biting down on her lip and holding her partner back.
"Never get a Texan to do your work." She offered her hand to the woman and she took it calmly. Nodding and conversing something in but a whisper.
There was a loud bang from far off and Trissiana laughed, whispering loud enough for myself to hear despite the distance.
"Do you hear the bullets sing? Singing the songs of tortured men... It is a music of a people who will not see light again..."
The woman smiled and shook her hand.
And with that. The deal was done.

**********

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VVIIINN!!! YAAYYY YOU'RE HALF WAY TO THIRTY!! WOOP WOOP!! HOPE YOU HAD AN AMAZING DAY MY PARTNER!! LOVE YOU!!! xxxx