Chapter Ten

It seemed that constant nerves had become a permanent thing. Every time I walked down the hallway or out into the courtyard with Zina, Callie and Peyton, I was expecting myself to feel faint, to not even be able to look up. I would spare a few wolves a passing glance, and each time they would flash me a happy, smiling grin. And not once had I seen a ferocious pair of canines. I didn't really know what I was expecting, but it seemed that Maddox had kept his promise, along with Zina, Callie and Peyton. The word had gotten out about the luna queen terrified of werewolves, and absolutely no one was risking a slip of a tooth.

Unfortunately, most of the castle workers knew me now. Obviously, someone would have given a description so they knew when to hide their wolfish tendencies, but even the humans seemed to know. I don't know how on this earth Maddox dealt with their constant bowing, but I suppose he grew up with it. 

As usual, I had been dressed to perfection. It seemed that long, slender dresses were the go too for casual dress in palace life. A sleeveless, light blue, satin gown with a lace shawl covering my shoulders. Hair perfectly neat and a range of diamonds and fancy jewels.

Right now I was sitting in the Luna Queen's Garden, just taking a moment to breathe. No one was allowed in here without my permission, so it made for the perfect place for privacy.

"Elora! I've been looking for you everywhere!" The familiar voice of Zina came from behind me.

"Why?" I asked, standing up out of the wooden seat I was sitting in to face her.

"I wanted to ask a favour, we're all going out on a run. Usually, when we go for a run we'll get one of the maids with experience to come to look after the pups since we obviously can't, but we thought it could give you a way to stay away from all the wolves. We've only got fifteen minutes until Maddox takes all the wolves outside and leads them for a run, so if you're ok to look after the pups, I would recommend we go inside so I can show you the room. If not, maybe head inside anyway?" She requested, not even slightly winded.

I blinked, "All of the kids?"

She smiled, "Sort of, Just Arya, Teo, Tayla, Beau and Seraphine, they're not old enough to shift so they can't really come with us."

I thought for a moment, four toddlers and a newborn. I highly doubted that I could handle that. I had no experience with kids, let alone pups from the Alpha King's court. I took a glance at Zina's desperate, pleading face.

"Sure, no problem at all!" I replied, putting on a smile.

She let out a sigh of relief, "Thank you so much, I'll quickly show you the room where they all are and then I'll have to go."

Zina wasted no time in waiting for my reply, instead, dashing off back in the direction of the doorway that connected back to the castle. She leads me back into what Maddox had described as the personal side of the castle. I had recently discovered that this area was where the Beta, Delta and Gamma resided. The area where mine and Maddox's rooms were was the Alpha's private wing, not to be entered without the Luna or Alpha's permission.

I hadn't explored most of the corridors, so it wasn't surprising when we ended up going in a direction that I wasn't familiar with. Soon enough, I could hear voices, the voices of young children and a few adults.

"I think Peyton and Callie are still in there, maybe with Dakota, Cassius and Elliot too, don't worry, we won't be in here long," Zina whispered, before opening up the door.

As Zina had guessed, everyone was still in here, the pups already hyper on something, all except Seraphine obviously, who currently had her little arm's around Elliot's neck and her head leaning against his shoulder.