Chapter Thirty Seven

Maddox's POV

I couldn't stop fidgeting.

I couldn't stop staring at the clock.

Zina had said midday. It was eleven now.

We were sitting in the living room closest to the entrance. If the door opened, we would hear it.

I sat alone in the chair, while everyone else sat on lounges. The pups were occupied in another room. The tension was thick in the air as we waited, no one was moving from this room until Elora was back.

Zina didn't say where she had gone, though it wasn't to difficult to figure out. She had gone home, back to her brothers. My wolf currently wasn't speaking to me, letting out a slow whine every couple of minutes, but no words. I could feel the anger tumbling down the unbreakable piece of string that connected us.

"How do you know she'll actually be coming back?" Callie asked sharply. "It would take no time at all for her to tell her brothers and then the three of them run off into the forests, Never to be seen again."

I felt the material covering the seat burst underneath my fingers.

"She won't." Zina confirmed, "Elora isn't stupid, and I doubt the thought has even crossed her mind."

"If I was in her situation, I'd already be on a plane to some remote island." Peyton crossed her arms, sending me a glare. "You know I would."

A loud growl left my throat, 

"Elora isn't leaving Maddox, nor is she leaving the country. She justs need some space. She'll be here within the hour. Everyone just calm down," Dakota snapped. 

I could feel claws tearing into my heart, my muscles getting agitated as I continued to sit restlessly. Having a human mate was terrifying, they could never feel what you felt, and they could never feel it to the extent that you could, even after being marked. Mates didn't split, especially not in the royal family. The heightened bond was probably one of the only pros of being royalty in a wolf word.

She wouldn't leave me.

But when the clock struck twelve, I felt as if my ears were glued to the wall, waiting to hear the creak of the door opening or the doorbell. I wouldn't let her go anywhere until she at least told me that it was ok, that I was nearly forgiven. In fact, she didn't even need to say that, just something.

But I didn't hear anything. 

Not a word.

She was running late, she had run into someone that she knew, there was traffic, there weren't any taxi's free.

She hadn't left me. She was just running late.

I knew that the others were mind linking. I didn't want to hear what they were saying though.

I checked the clock, One o'clock. She had to take a break, the snow was falling so thick that even the attempt to walk through it would be impossible.

One thirty, the snow had stopped. She would be here soon, another hour at the most.

Time ticked by, and I could feel the room getting tense. Arya had come into the room around fifteen minutes ago in tears, and while she had tried to tell us why, her speech was inaudible. We had assumed that she was mad at her parents, for she was now sitting on my lap, her tiny arms wrapped around my torso, and still crying profusely into my shirt.

It made me feel a little better.

But the sinking feeling in my stomach didn't fade.

I heard a knock at the door.