Chapter Twenty Five

"A name that seems to be the only title I ever get called, "I confirmed, keeping my voice as cool and calm as possible.

I couldn't show weakness, this was serious. I kept my back straight and my chin up high.

"It's a fitting title, regardless of what you may think." The beady-eyed man shrugged, "You certainly don't look anything like what anyone is expecting, or what anyone has certainly pictured."

I raised an eyebrow, "And what would that be?"

"Fatter, you look like you've just come off the street." He sneered, "And stronger, but we've been told you came from one of the garment factories, so I'm not too sure what anyone was expecting. Zayin Le Doux, a pleasure to meet you." Zayin bent into a weak, sarcastic bow.

"And who are you in this? The leader? Second in command? Or are you just are a member who pissed of the big guy enough to be sent here?" I asked, placing an overly confident mask over my shaking frame.

Zayin's eyes narrowed, "My status is none of your business,"

I tilted my head, "I would think that it is, you're here to recruit me, and I must say, you're doing an awful job."

My words seemed to hit him like a truck as if he was remembering exactly why he was here,

"Now," I smirked, "Win me over." I pretended to be inspecting my nails as to not make eye contact,

"If you haven't already deducted, our organisation is called K.U.T. We want you to be part of the organisation, acting almost like our mascot. Most are hesitant to join our cause, mainly due to the risks that it presents. But having you would act as a sign, a sign that we're for the refugees, that we focus on the safety of our people," Zayin resumed, his gaze focused on me.

"And who are your people?" I asked suspiciously, "And how do you know that I'm the solution to your problems?"

"The humans, of course, those who have been slaving away under the law of the wolves. That's our cause, It's time for a shift in government, and we finally have the resources, the strength. We believe we can do it, and in answer to your other question, you wouldn't believe what everyone back home believes. You've been hidden from their eyes, and suddenly your brothers are being slowly taken out of the equation. There are certainly rumours of your... mistreatment. And then the rumours of," His eyes glanced down to my stomach,

I went red, knowing exactly what he was insinuating.

His eyes came back up, "Anyway, should you join us, you would symbolise freedom against the wolves, a symbol that we desperately need."

I noticed his word choice, desperately. How badly did they need me? Clearly much, much more than I needed them. But I made no face, no movement, nothing that could have given away what I was thinking in any way.

"K U T," I brought up, changing the subject, "What does that stand for?"

"Not something I can tell you," Zayin admitted, "That sort of information is what will be told to you should you accept our offer."

Made sense, didn't mean I liked it.

My eyes narrowed, "And your resources, you say that you have the strength and resources, where and how?"

"This has been happening for over ten years, building up money to purchase equipment, finding those ready to fight for our cause. We are finally at the point where we can start making our moves, playing our chess pieces carefully. We just need more, that's where you come in."

I was beginning to understand why they had sent this man, Zayin. He knew how to manipulate his words so that they would crawl themselves into my mind. It felt like a rope, drawing me in slowly, wrapping themselves around my mind. It felt like imprisonment in a way, like handcuffs or bolts that kept me stuck to the floor.