Chapter Seventeen: When the Gazelle Takes Her Last Leaps

(Thank you for 10k reads

(Thank you for 10k reads. From the bottom of my heart. You're all so appreciated. -T)

Kashera

The tense silence occupying the car was fueled further by a tension so thick a butcher knife would struggle to cut through it. I was on one side of the car pressed tightly into the leather seat as I tried my damnedest to keep my attention focused outside of him.

On the other side was Matteo who sat with his face on his fist as he looked at me from the side of his eye, almost glaring, and tense as ever. Feeling his eyes on me, I couldn't help but to look at him discreetly. A million emotions flooded through my mind, but there was one question that lingered on my mind in a constant badgering echo: How idiotic could he be?

"Spit it out, Kashera"

"Oh so I'm Kashera now? Really cute Aline," I said being petty with a dry humorless laugh as I turned back to look out my own window. I could feel his eyes burning into the side of my head, but I refused to acknowledge him further. I was beyond words pissed off, and anything that came out of my mouth was going to be explicitly to cause harm, so I knew I had to tread carefully and shut up altogether.

"Oh so it's Aline now, Marie? How cute or should I say childish. Kind of like everything else you've done today," He said with a dark chuckle before continuing to speak, "You know what? I'm not about to do this with you." I turned around so fast I almost got caught in the seatbelt that held me in place. I was certain that the glare on my face was absolutely murderous.

"You really have some fucking nerve. Don't you dare act like this has anything to do with me! I'm willing to bet good money that you are without a doubt one of the most smartest yet simultaneously idiotic people I've ever met! Do you ever fully think about anything?" I spat at him. He turned slowly to face me with a cold glare of his own that would've made anybody else probably kill themselves before he got the chance. The fact that I was on the receiving end of such a stare only pissed me off more.

"Of course I do princess dearest! Which is why I'm trying not to talk to you right now before I say something I regret."

"What is it that you could possibly say, Matteo? If I recall correctly, you're the one that stood inside of the Georgia Court House and almost pulled out a gun on the chief of police-"

"And that almost would've been a did if you would've stayed out of my way. I was thinking then, obviously, because I didn't want to shoot you. Now drop it."

"Or what? You really are about to sit here and act like you didn't just do what the hell you did?"

"Kashera, I said drop it!" He yelled out at me making me flinch back but still he continued, "If it's bothering you that bad, I can drop you off at the church and you go and take your little issue to the alter, because right now I'm not listening to the shit," He spat. It took everything in my being to not take my heel and throw it at his head.