Chapter 33

As the fire grew smaller Cole kept grabbing bits and pieces of what little wood was left by the fire place and tossing them in. He told me it wouldn't last until the morning but long enough for us to get some rest and not be completely frozen.

I didn't want to admit this to myself, but I needed sleep. Lots of it. I don't think I've gotten a decent nights rest since being here. Do I just take the risk of sleeping in this unfamiliar place with this untrustworthy boy? Or do I press through and risk not having the energy needed to escape this place tomorrow?

Cole's POV

Sitting on this couch gave me the feeling of comfort. I knew that Emily however, was feeling anything but comfortable.

What even happened tonight?

I surprised myself by going through my emotions like a speeding car down a highway.

First scared then open, I transitioned into angry and then sad? I knew it was more than just sad.. guilt, shame, anxiety. You name it, it was running through my body.

I slapped myself in the head for crying. Like a little bitch. How could I? And how could she just...hug me? Who does that?

Normal people I'm sure.

The events from tonight replayed through my eyes on repeat.

Katie's death. Bringing Emily here. Letting everything off my chest. Zac's deal with Emily.

My blood boiled. Calm down, I thought. Earlier my reaction to this news was way too much. I over reacted to say the least.

Another thing I'm kicking myself for.

I felt a weird feeling when Emily told me she didn't take the deal. With as intimidating as Zac is, she still didn't break. How does she not let him get to her? He sure gets to me.

I still wanted to kill him. He deserved it after all. But Emily was right when she said that if I did that I would be giving him exactly what he wanted.

I looked to my left and there she sat on the couch across from me. She held the blanket I gave her earlier close to her chest. A hot feeling filled my cheeks. It was not the fire making it feel this way...that's..weird.

Her head bobbed back and forth. She was fighting herself from falling asleep, I could tell.

I told her more than once that she could rest. I would stay awake if it made her feel better, or go to sleep first so she knew I wouldn't leave or harm her.

I know that she doesn't trust me but she's going to have to. We have to trust each other if we both want to make it out of here alive - and I did - want to make it out of here. I knew what tomorrow held.

When I leave to go and get the car needed to drive us out of here Zac would find out. I have to go in the cabin to grab the key and even if Zac somehow doesn't see or hear me..he'd notice one of our vehicles missing the second he walked outside. If he didn't drive to come and find it, he'd drive out of the woods waiting for the car to either drive out or return especially if he suspects it was Emily or Katie or the guy who didn't return last night.

It wasn't going to be an easy task.

"Cole." Emily closed her eyes and turned towards me.

"Yeah?" I looked to her even though her eyes weren't open.

"If I pass out will you cover me up again?" I smiled at this. Bigger than I know I should've, but her eyes were closed so she couldn't see my grin.

"Sure."

"I know when the fire goes out I'll be cold and I just want to make sure I'm warm when I wake up. Big day tomorrow." She half smiled in a light hearted voice.

"I get it."

"Thank you." She turned her head back and leaned it against the couch.

Whether she realized this or not it was a step in the right direction. She needed to get rest and see that nothing would happen. I needed to know she can trust me, even just a little. I needed to know that I can trust myself too...even just a little.

Emily's POV

My head grew heavy and eyelids heavier. It was time to let myself rest. I weighed my options and decided that it would be best take a risk and trust Cole.

I'd be trusting him tomorrow anyway. What's a night early going to change?

My eyes stayed shut as I turned my head and body to Cole.

"Cole."

"Yeah?" I heard him shift to look at me.

"If I pass out will you cover me up again?" I wanted him to know that I was trusting him with something. Maybe if he knows I'm also opening up to this messed up situation he can trust me too.

He says I remind him of his mother and the girl before me who made him believe in himself...okay then..I'll be that girl if it helps my chances of getting out of here. Or maybe I'm that girl without trying anyway.

"Sure." His tone seemed giddy.

"I know when the fire goes out I'll be cold and I just want to make sure I'm warm when I wake up. Big day tomorrow." I stopped myself from letting out a full smile. This was good.

"I get it." He responded.

"Thank you." I replied before turning back to my previous position and laying my head down.

I didn't hesitate to let go. My mind felt free and blank as I drifted off to dream land.

I wonder what waited for me there?

A/N Hello! I'm so happy that more people have been reading and keeping up with this book! I know that this chapter and last are short compared others..just know that it's for a reason..tomorrow I will updating with a very long chapter! I wanted to make sure that the characters emotions are really understood before getting into the next few chapters. Only a little bit longer and this book will be over! I'll ask this again at the very end...but tell me..would you be interested in a squeal?