Chapter Twenty Eight • Unanswered Questions

-William-

It killed him that he had to leave Jade behind with his mother around. As he walked to his chamber - to get the last of his things - he started considering moving Jade to his own castle. It would have been a compromise for them both but maybe she would have known that he listened to her. Would she agree to it? Being left alone in a different stone cage?

Hardly... He thought and ran his fingers through his hair.

His father was already sitting in the saddle when William came out to the stables. The soldiers were preparing their own horses and some of them were fidgeting. A neigh awoke him from his thoughts. It was Dimma, his own horse. The stallion was saddled and waited for him with the reins in the hands of a servant. The black stallion was eager and it brought a faint smile to William's lips. At least he would have Dimma.

Dimma was as black as obsidian and his mane was long and wild, but now it had been braided tightly to keep it out of William's face. There was no horse as majestic as his - not even his father's horse Sten. Sten was a mélange of shades of grey but not as beautiful as Dimma.

The muzzle of his four legged friend searched his pockets as soon as William was close enough. He gave the horse a piece of an apple. He had done this since Dimma was only a foal and he wanted the horse to trust him. William's father had given him the pitch black foal on a foggy morning when William had recently turned fifteen. The stallion had been hard to ride in but it had been worth it. They were almost equally stubborn and the horse had a temper just like its owner.

"Get me back, alright?" he mumbled as he examined the halter. If the servants didn't make sure it was just right, Dimma would be hell to ride. The almost black eyes studied William shortly and then the muzzle dived down to his pockets again for another treat.

"You're greedy today..." William muttered but gave his horse what he wanted. He deserved it, he always did.

William got up in the saddle and grabbed the reins. He had a very bad feeling in his stomach. There was nothing else he'd rather do than make sure that Jade was as far away from his mother as possible, but there was no time.

"We ride!" His father's voice echoed and William motioned Dimma to follow. He threw a gaze towards the castle before it was too late.

I should have put her in a carriage and sent her away. Loren could have gone with her. Elizabeth as well. He thought in remorse as he knew that the time he would be away would without a doubt be torture for Jade.

-Jade-

The following morning Jade made sure that Loren wasn't far away from her. As soon as Elizabeth came to collect Jade's breakfast she told her governess to fetch him. For the first time she wanted him around her. She was able to admit to herself that William had provided her with something that showed just how much he wanted her to be safe. She felt stupid that it had taken her this long to understand that Loren's presence wasn't to spite or annoy her. It was - as William had said - for her protection and a way for him to reassure himself that she was safe.

They were walking the gardens in complete silence. Loren never said anything to her unless it was to tell her something on William's behalf. The air was crisp and Jade could see her breath turn into a white cloud as she exhaled. The coldness of winter had arrived sooner than expected. There was still no sign of snow but there was a thin layer of frost in the grass and on the foliage around them.

Jade was wearing a thick black coat over her normal clothes, and a pair of gloves. Elizabeth had proudly presented Jade with her new garment that William had had the tailors create for her. The edges of the hood was clad with snow white fur and the inside was covered with what Jade assumed was soft wool.