Sparks

"Cheer up, Jem. We didn't drown." Kailee Martin— that Kailee Martin— wrings creek water out of her hair, and I stifle the urge to strangle her with it.

A flashlight glares down at us, and I throw up a palm to deflect it. Shadows swarm beyond the beams, but I can make out just enough to wish I had drowned. Two cops who busted the party stare down at us.

They lower their lights. "I've seen a lot of things, ladies, but a successful marine escape isn't one of 'em."

Kailee shrugs. "Worth a try."

If I hadn't half-drowned, Kailee could've made it to the other side. Even with our botched attempt, she still somehow has a beer bottle shoved in the back pocket of her jeans. I might even aspire to such composure if I didn't want to throttle her for leaping into the water in the first place.

"All right, up." The cop offers me a hand, hauling me to my feet.

My sneakers skid on the mud, and I slide into Kailee's hip. She throws an arm around my shoulder to steady me and laughs into my cheek.

The officer frowns before leading us into her cruiser. A minute later, she's conferring with her partner, and my eyes burn trying to read their expressions through the blue-red blur of police lights.

"Don't I get a kiss for rescuing a damsel in distress?"

My gaze whips from the window.

This girl. "This is your idea of a date? This is your idea of a rescue?"

"Could be worse. I did save your life."

I grimace, peeling a strand of seaweed from my jeans and dropping it on her wrist. "I wasn't going to die."

Kailee grins, and her arm slips away. "Yeah, because I was there." She nudges my shoulder, and I nudge back a little too hard. This girl.

"Reckless," I mutter. As if that isn't the point of Kailee Martin.

Kailee leans in close, eyes dark and gleaming. "Gotta take a chance sometime, Jem."

Her breath is warm and wild on my skin, and the space between us sparks. I lick my lips, tasting lightning on them, and then I'm flush to her, skin to skin. This girl. She smiles against my kiss, and tangles a hand in my hair while my fingertips slide to the small of her back.

"They're coming back." Kailee sighs, pulling away too soon to rest her forehead against mine.

The ride home is quiet, Kailee and I shivering against each other. My fingers twine with hers.

"I'll see you Monday," she says as I'm led out of the cruiser, and the door slams shut.

That's not going to happen, though, because this is my last night on earth. Sneaking out to a party, only to be dragged home in the back of a squad car?

I might not've drowned, but my parents are definitely going to kill me.