17|| To Build A Team

Sophie furrowed her brow as she followed the others into a large, abandoned barn. The wooden floor groaned with every step and the air smelt of musty wood and hay. A large window near the top of the barn let sunlight spill inside.

Sophie looked over at Dick with a raised brow. He didn't even look her way, he just walked past everyone to the center of the room.

"Okay." He spoke, catching everyone's attention. "In order to fight and defend yourselves like a coordinated team, we gotta see what each other can do. Any volunteers?"

Sophie glanced around at the others. Kori was clearly ignoring everything as she picked at her chipped nail polish. The green haired kid was silent, shifting his weight between feet; and Rachel was staring at the wooden floor.

"Why not." Sophie stepped forwards. It was clear nobody else was going to volunteer. And besides from Dick, she was probably the most experienced one there.

Dick took a few steps back. His gaze landed on her fleetingly before falling to the space over her shoulder. "Just hit that water heater." He ordered in a cold tone.

Sophie ignored the clear resentment he was showing her and raised her hands. It barely took any concentration to form a shimmering aurora. The soft purple and green light flickered above her palms.

She watched as Gar and Rachel's expressions shifted into ones of awe. Even Kori seemed impressed in her own way. Dick was the only one who wasn't looking at her.

She clenched her jaw and closed her hands into tight fists. The glowing light seeped out between her fingers and when she opened her hands two long crystal shaped daggers rested in her palms.

She held them tight before spinning around and throwing them at the water heater. They tore through the white metal, leaving gaping holes in their place. Sophie turned back around and forced a closed mouthed grin.

"Ta-da." She said before walking back towards the group.

Dick barely waited for her to stop walking before he moved on to the next person. "Kori." He focused on her. "Rachel said you can create light, heat, is that right?"

Kori shrugged a shoulder and shifted her weight to one leg. "Honestly, i'm still trying to figure it out."

"Ok," Dick nodded, "so let's figure it out together. How exactly does it work?"

"I think it comes from the sun. I can absorb its power and redirect it." She tried to explain. "I'm weaker at night though, sometimes empty. And it takes me a while to recharge."

"How long?" Dick asked and Kori shrugged.

"A few hours, a day, I don't know." She explained to the best of her ability.

"Can you control it?" Dick asked one of the more important questions.

Kori tilted her head to the side and smirked. "Of course."

"Ok, can you hit that tractor." He motioned to the old hunk of rusted metal sitting at the back of the barn.

"Watch." She smirked as she walked forwards. She waited till Dick was further away before she widened her stance. She tilted her face upwards and her entire body began to glow like she had fire in her veins.

She looked at the tractor before she shot her hand out.

Flames roared through the air but instead of hitting the tractor, they burnt a hole in the backside of the barn. The old wood crackled and popped and a warmth spread through the cold barn.

Her burning glow seeped away before she turned around. "Suppose I could use a bit of practice." She shrugged and walked pridefully back over. The boy with green hair raised his hand for a high five and the moment Kori's hand met his he pulled back with a hiss.